SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Multiple hits and Chimeric hits Maulik23 Bioinformatics 1 02-04-2013 07:57 PM
Create new Reference by merging SNV list with reference genome rdoan Bioinformatics 0 10-12-2012 07:17 AM
Genome Sequencing Hits Mainstream Medicine - View TCGC Preliminary Agenda Pavolga Events / Conferences 0 01-13-2012 07:04 AM
Illumina sequencing: Hits to chromosome Y from female sample? ledsall Bioinformatics 11 04-20-2010 11:06 AM
Reference genome for MAQ - split reference genome by chromosome or not? inesdesantiago Bioinformatics 4 02-18-2009 08:44 AM

Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
amarth

Question Looking for no-hits within Sample & Reference Genome

Hi pals,

This is amarth, and my question is:

How can I extract no-hits data from the alignment of the sample, with the reference genome?

My main goal is not to visualize differential expression of genes (maybe it is, as a partial goal), but the main one, is to identify genes (maybe from a virus) expressed in all the transcript RNA of a sample with symptoms of the disease, but not in a healthy sample.
amarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
sisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarth View Post
How can I extract no-hits data from the alignment of the sample, with the reference genome?
Can you give additional information on the setup.
What kind of alignment do you have, SAM/BAM, BLAST, BLAT, etc.?

In general, if you have a set of mappable transcripts M and a set of all transcripts from the healthy reference T you could just subtract the set T from M to get all those transcripts that are in your sequencing but not in the healthy reference.

Set operations can be done in R or even in bash. There is an extensive explanation here: http://www.catonmat.net/blog/set-ope...in-unix-shell/

Best,
Simon
sisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no hits, transcript difference, transcript reconstruction