No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools SNP calling

Hello there
    I have a issue with sam SNP calling. I work with captured genomic sequences.
    The fold coverage is very high at 600X. I used BWA (mismatch penalty -7) to map the reads to the genome and used samtools to call SNPs. I used mpileup and then realised that a known SNP was not called by mpileup and I tried to investigate what is happening in that region with pileup. The output is as follows
    CFA15 1299612 T T 255 0 59 309 g,GG,,.g,,.G.g.,,,gg.G,gg,g,,.G.,,,,,,GG...gGG,,,g.ggggg,.ggG.gg..g,Gg.Gggg.G
    .g,,.gg,,,,gg.,g,g.,,.Gg,.,gg,gg,ggggG,..Ggg,,g,g,,,.g,gG,gGgg.g,GG,Gg,,..,,g.G,,,,,,,.G,,gg,gG.gg,gGGGg.GGGG,g,gGg,G,,g,,g,.,g,g..GG.G.,gggg
    GggG.G,,g,g,.,,..,gGG..G,G,,..g,gg,g,.,Ggg,.G,g,.,gGGGGg,G.GGg,.gggG,g,,,g,G.G..G...,g^]g^],^],^]g^]G !T!!]^^!^^^!^!^^^^!!^!^!!^!^^^!^^^^^^
    ^!!^^^!!!^^^!^!!!!!^^!!!^!!^^!^!!^!!!!^!^!^^^!!^^^^!!^^!^!^^^^!!^^^!!^!!^!!!!!^^^!!!^^!^!^^^^!^!!^!!!!^!^!!^!!^^^^^^!^!^^^^^^^^!^^!!^!!^!!^!!
    !!!^!!!!^!^!!!^!^^!^^!^^^!^!^^!!^!^^!!!!!!!!^!^^!]!^^^^^^^!!!^^!^!^^^B!^!!^!^^^!!!^^!^!^^^!!!!,!^!^!!!^^!!!!^!^__!_!_!EE!EEA>!!EE!!
    What I do not understand is why is samtools not reporting the consensus sequence as K ? Is this the reason why it is not called as variant position ?
    Thanks a lot for the answers

All those !'s are the lowest quality. It doesn't want to call a G because it thinks all the G calls are horribly unreliable.

Did you run mpileup with the default settings? At my fingertips, I've got a similar case, with 2 SNPs that definitely sanger confirmed, but also had lousy quality scores. When I re-ran mpileup with -B, the quality scores improved to what the .sam file said they ought to be, and my two SNPs popped up.

If you ran pileup, you should really get the newest version of samtools, and run mpileup. People will be less willing to troubleshoot software they know is superseded.

Comment

do you have format the original data?If not ,I also understand...

Comment

Thank you very much. It worked.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses