SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on Minor allele Frequency in dbSNP135 ngarg General 0 02-06-2012 09:55 AM
PubMed: Minor variant detection in amplicons using 454 massive parallel pyrosequencin Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-13-2011 02:00 AM
Tophat -F/--min-isoform-fraction option disabled? jinjun Bioinformatics 0 11-23-2010 02:00 AM
tophat -F/--min-isoform-fraction option wenhuang Bioinformatics 0 03-31-2010 12:02 PM
Minor Allele Frequency Cutoff/Threshold BertieWooster Bioinformatics 1 09-28-2009 01:50 PM

Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Mark.hz

Question Question about minor isoform filtering of Tophat

I got confused about minor isoform filtering when I re-read tophat paper.
"The number of alignments crossing the junction is divided by the coverage of the more deeply covered side to obtain an estimate of the minor isoform frequency. If TopHat estimates that the splice junction occurs at 15% of the depth of coverage of the exons flanking it, the junction is not reported."

So, according to above statement, the junction will be excluded if it is below 15% of the depth of coverage of the exons flanking it. But what exactly is "the depth of coverage"? It's the depth of major isoform? or of minor isoform? or of average of both?
As I know, usually the coverage of junctions are lower than exons, so I prefer it is 15% of minor isoform. Any comment?
Did anyone manipulate this option ("-F/--min-isoform-fraction") before? I know it has been deprecated in the latest version of tophat. Any advice?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark.hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Mark.hz

Nobody noticed this option before? Really appreciate it if you have any experience to share.
Mark.hz is offline   Reply With Quote