SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Count cuttoff for Diff expression DESeq and Cufflinks/Cuffdiff rspitale Introductions 0 01-05-2013 03:51 PM
Differential gene expression analysis with bioreplicates using EdgeR/DESeq iceage Bioinformatics 1 07-07-2012 04:58 PM
miRNA differential expression (DESeq) ericamica Bioinformatics 3 05-16-2011 07:18 AM
Cufflinks/Cuffdiff significant differential expression memo Bioinformatics 5 01-25-2011 09:49 AM
Differential expression analysis workflow in Cufflinks anna_vt Bioinformatics 4 12-19-2010 02:04 AM

Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
rspitale

Default Cutoffs for differential Expression analysis (DESeq and Cufflinks/Cuffdiff)

Hey All,

This is my first post, so please bear with me.

I have been doing differential expression with DESeq and Cuffdiff.

I just wondered at what level do people usually exclude genes from analysis.

For example in DEseq, what number of raw counts do you exclude (i.e.- 10 and up, etc)?

For Cuffdiff, what level do you cut off RPKM/FPKM. (i.e.- 1 and above use for differntial expression)?

Also, for multiple samples do you sort all sample types by expression and remove all genes for each sample at that value?

Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks!
rspitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Richard Barker

For cuffdiff i normally use 10 as the minimum per-locus counts for significance testing. Hope this helps... I'm now trying to get DESeq working so can't help with that one...
Richard Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
dpryan
Devon Ryan

For DESeq I exclude genes with <20 counts (summed across all samples). Those are usually too few counts to calculate a meaningful statistic (see the Bourgon et al. (2010) paper in PNAS or the DESeq vignette, though I don't recall either of those giving specific recommendations for a threshold...).
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Richard Barker

Hi dpyan
Can you share the commands that you used for DESeq so i can see a functional example to try and guide my future attempts?
Richard Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Have a look at the "Filtering by overall count" section of the DESeq vignette, which I'll just copy and modify below:
Code:
rs = rowSums(counts(cdsFull))
use = (rs > 20)
cdsFilt = cdsFull[use,]
The actual threshold that's best will probably vary by sample number, it's convenient to make the plot they have in the vignette as "Figure 9" so you can eyeball if the threshold is inappropriate. See also "Figure 10".
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuffdiff, cufflinks, deseq, rnaseq