SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Find unmapped read from sam/bam file genelab Bioinformatics 9 03-18-2014 01:35 PM
how to know whether a bam file is strand specific? jay2008 Bioinformatics 0 11-27-2012 11:12 PM
Visualisation issue with mapped BAM file - how do I find my region of interest... TabeaK Bioinformatics 1 11-14-2012 05:06 AM
subsetting a bam file with specific alingment length joseph Bioinformatics 4 12-28-2011 07:39 PM
Find all occurrences of a sequence in a fasta file dphansti Bioinformatics 3 12-06-2011 06:11 AM

Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
volavii

Default how do i find a specific sequence in a bam file?

I want to extract special sequences out of my bam-file (reference-mapped with BWA).

normally i do that with blast or blat, but this time i have a bam file, not a ready-to-use genome...
do i have to assemble the mapped reads into a consensus sequence in bevore, or is it possible to first (1.) identify the respective scaffold via the reference-genome with blat, (2.) assemble the reads that mapped to this scaffold and then (3.) aligne my sequence to that assembled scaffold?Or is this idea totally stupid? :/

I have never done an assembly so far. Iam really unsure what is the right way here...

Which tool would you suggest for assembling a bam-file, when dealing with genomes of >2 GB? And how shoud I care fore heterozygous positions?

so many thanks in advance,
hope anyone can give me here some help
volavii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
westerman
Rick Westerman

It is hard for me to understand what you need. It appears that you already have reference-mapped data thus denovo assembly does not seem to required. If instead you are asking either (a) how to extract reads of a certain region or (b) how to call SNPs/Indels then you should look at the samtools 'mpileup' command. See http://samtools.sourceforge.net/mpileup.shtml for a starting place on mpileup.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
amarth

Have you tried to convert your BAM file into a SAM or Fasta?

Use in the command line:

Quote:
$ samtools view -h -o out.sam in.bam
The SAM file will provide the mapped reads into a specific scaffold. There you can retrieve your reads. Then you can assemble the reads
amarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
volavii

first of all, thanks for answering!

sorry for my imprecise question.

What i have done so far is a reference-mapping of 5 genomes. i used BWA for that. everything worked well.

Now i want to have the sequence of ~25 genes outof these 5 inidividuals. And i am not really sure how to do it.
I have no experience how much time it takes to assemble the reads of these 5 individuals to a consesus sequence... therefore i thougth: maybe it is enought to just assemble the parts of the individuals in which the genes are lying...

@amarth: which program do you suggest for the assembly. And how should i care for heterozygous sites? Shoud I use ambiguity code in the final gene sequence, or "Ns"?

Thanks!
volavii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembly, bam, heterozygote, mapping, phasing