SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FastQC,kmer content, per base sequence content: is this good enough mgg Bioinformatics 10 11-06-2013 11:45 PM
kmer content warning in FastQC vallejov RNA Sequencing 0 04-05-2013 11:10 AM
Kmer Content wvie Bioinformatics 3 08-11-2012 09:07 AM
Kmer content subuhikhan General 9 03-05-2012 01:05 AM
kmer content in the first bases of Illumina sequence brachysclereid Bioinformatics 2 01-09-2012 03:54 PM

Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
zshuhua

Default FastQC: odd kmer content

Hi,
I'm checking the data quality using fastqc for the Illumina Hi-Seq2000 reads and got odd kmer patterns (see attachment). Although an old thread suggested that 5' pattern is common, I want to know how to eliminate the odd patterns for GGGGG, AAAAA and TCTTC. Could you please help to interpret and get rid of them?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: png kmer_profiles.png (78.8 KB, 107 views)
zshuhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Jeremy

TRIMMOMATIC, or any other read cleaning program, should clean those up. I would use options: SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 HEADCROP:15 MINLEN:36
Then run FastQC again and you should see a much nicer report, if you are just mapping to a reference genome then cleaning reads is less of an issue so you could leave out the HEADCROP (which cuts bases from the start). But if you are assembling de-novo then I would cut that non-random sequence at the start.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
zshuhua

Thanks for your help!
I intend to calculate genes/transcripts expression levels. Do I have to cut the 5' 10 bp?
I'm wondering what causes the patterns of for GGGGG, AAAAA and TCTTC, because I saw those patterns in other tens of RNA-seq data files.
zshuhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Jeremy

Like I said, you only need to cut if doing a de-novo assembly because the non-randomness of the start of the reads could cause problems in assembly, if just aligning to a genome then the read should align anyway. The non-randomness of the start is usually caused by the 'random' primers used to make cDNA. The stretch of Gs or As are either bad quality reads or legitimate stretches of repeats that happened to get sequenced, either way the SLIDINGWINDOW option seems to remove them.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote