No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beta diversity depth

Hi all,

I am using QIIME to analyse my 16S metagenomic sample.
    I am going to compare the bacterial community of 2 group of sample and each group composed of 10 sets of samples

I have merged, trimmed and filtered my sequences and the no. of read for my 10 samples are:

Group 1: 88322, 131727, 150013, 169207, 177499, 193288, 197006, 200491, 201732, 229860
    Group 2: 115444, 127776, 172511, 172573, 179295, 181659, 186582, 200619, 201387, 212047

I have subsample the reads to multiple rarefaction (sample size from 1000 to 88000 with step size of 2000) to calculate the alpha diversity with parallel_multiple_rarefactions.

I am going to use the jackknifed_beta_diversity to see if there is difference between 2 group of samples. Unlike alpha diversity, it seems that only a single depth is allowed to compute the beta diversity. I would like to ask what is the best sequence depth for compute the beta diversity and plot the principal coordinates analysis for these sets of data ? Between, is it a good idea to remove the data with only 88322 reads which is relative fewer reads?

Thanks for answering the long question.

88k reads is generally more than sufficient to saturate each sample. Look at your alpha diversity rarefaction plots - do they plateau way before 88k? If so, then you probably have a good representation of your population at lower read counts.

Comment

I have attached the rarefaction plot, the increase in observed OTU numbers slow down when more sequences, but seems not reaching a plateu??

Is the observed species over-estimate? I see the observed OTU from other papers usually below 1k.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, those do seem high but it depends on your sample (e.g. bacteria-rich soil). How are you doing the OTU picking? Are you filtering the OTU table afterwards, for example to remove really low abundance species? We typically remove anything at < 0.005% abundance and this leaves us with a few hundred OTUs.

You want to run the rarefaction plot out to >88k to see if you want to remove the sample with fewest reads, right?

Comment

I pick the otu by pick_open_reference_otus against greengenes 97% clustering 16S reference set (remove singleton by default):

pick_open_reference_otus.py -i input.fasta -o otus -r 97_otus.fasta

And I have taken your advise by removing < 0.005% abundance reads and still got over 4000 OTUs.

Originally posted by fanli View Post
          Yeah, those do seem high but it depends on your sample (e.g. bacteria-rich soil). How are you doing the OTU picking? Are you filtering the OTU table afterwards, for example to remove really low abundance species? We typically remove anything at < 0.005% abundance and this leaves us with a few hundred OTUs.

You want to run the rarefaction plot out to >88k to see if you want to remove the sample with fewest reads, right?
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello, Fanli, I like your result of 16s V4 Miseq run. I would like to know how much you loaded? And the size of your library is ?

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses