Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What NextGen LIMS do you use?

I know "cquincer" started a very similar post to this back at the start of December last year. There wasn't a great deal of feedback at the time and I was wondering if anyone could offer some up to date insight re: LIMS for NextGen sequencing.

Our own service capabilities are relatively small scale at the moment but we're planning a platform expansion in the coming months. We also use other technologies including Sequenom's MassARRAY MALDI-TOF MS system and would want to incorporate that into any LIMS we adopted. Regarding LIMS I'm aware of Genologics, Geospiza (this appears to be NextGen only), Graphlogic and WikiLIMS (anyone else?). I’m just wondering what solution groups similar to us were coming up with – I’d be interested to hear.

hi jOn. I'm quite interested in this as well. WikiLIMS has seemed to offer a pretty decent solution, but costs a bit more than we'd like to spend. (and its probably one of the cheapest ones out there). For now, we've gone the route of working with MediaWiki and designing our own low level methods for tracking our data and results generated. The wiki can be relatively easily configured using tools like perlwikipedia and pywikipedia to automate a lot of steps. This is much more a system for the informaticians in our group to use, the only real component that will be useful for end users or PI's is the final reports that get generated, essentially providing users with a web based interface to their results. I've heard about an open source 'lite' version of wikilims or something similar in the works, but I haven't seen any news about that in a long time. Anyone else know of anything relatively free, but useful?

Comment

Originally posted by jOn View Post
      I know "cquincer" started a very similar post to this back at the start of December last year. There wasn't a great deal of feedback at the time and I was wondering if anyone could offer some up to date insight re: LIMS for NextGen sequencing.

Our own service capabilities are relatively small scale at the moment but we're planning a platform expansion in the coming months. We also use other technologies including Sequenom's MassARRAY MALDI-TOF MS system and would want to incorporate that into any LIMS we adopted. Regarding LIMS I'm aware of Genologics, Geospiza (this appears to be NextGen only), Graphlogic and WikiLIMS (anyone else?). I’m just wondering what solution groups similar to us were coming up with – I’d be interested to hear.
      Hello jOn,

I work with Geospiza, and just wanted to provide some clarification about our system. In addition to our support for Next Gen Lab Management and Data Analysis, we also provide support for Microarray technologies and Sanger sequencing.

Best,
      Laura
      Last edited by llucas; 02-04-2009, 10:16 AM. Reason: Would like to clarify

Comment

Hi jON,

You may want to add Ocimum Biosolutions/Gene Logic (not to be confused with Genologics) to your list as not only do we provide solutions for Next Gen Sequencing, Gene Expression, Proteomics, Biobanking, Translational Research with clinical trials and Biomarker applicability, we actually have 4 labs using these technologies, so we have domain expertise.

Cheers,

Rick

Comment

wikiLIMs came out of a collaboration between my previous lab at the Naval Medical Research Center in Rockville and Mike Cariaso of the BioTeam. Basically, we played around with using mediawiki to track files on the RAID as the data left the 454 machine and realized that we could track more and more experimental data (DNA samples, bacterial strains, assemblies etc). BioTeam has since installed somewhat different versions of the wikiLIMs at other locations, customized to the needs of each center. There are modules now for tracking Illumina , Solid and other technologies. BioTeam tell me they will release some of the basic wikiLIMs modules via open access on an 'as is' basis sometime in the next 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by jperin View Post
            WikiLIMS has seemed to offer a pretty decent solution, but costs a bit more than we'd like to spend. ... For now, we've gone the route of working with MediaWiki
            Ironically, using WikiLIMS is basically hiring someone to shape MediaWiki for your site. It's from BioTeam, which seems to make its money selling repackaged free stuff to people.

Comment

BioTeam has been doing this for a while and knows the Mediawiki code base well enough to quickly make the customizations which are relevant for a particular lab. Many of the features we'd built early on are now available from Semantic Mediawiki and Semantic Forms so we make heavy use of those modules. But we've built lots of site specific features with no public analog. Two public examples I can point to are visible on SNPedia. If you visit
              a non-existentant page such as

Then click on 'edit' you will see that we prepopulate a template based on the title. Also look at

and notice the user editable graphic of the HapMap data. Neither of these has anything comparable in any of the open source components I've seen. We're trying hard to open source some of our work, but its yet to happen in a big way. I hope to have more to say about that in the future.

For the moment the things we've built are often tightly integrated into a customer's site. Examples of this are components which already know a lot about the analysis pipelines and the file formats from the major sequencing platforms, and the local storage infrastructure. Often that's because we've helped to spec and build the local storage and compute farm. For customers who have interested bioinformatics users we document how we do our work and train them to adapt the code themselves.

Comment

I have to argue, though, that the business model of 'repackaging' open source (free) tools and selling them for a profit is not completely unheard of. RedHat, Suse, MySQL etc... and many other very prominent companies do this with great success. This model works in industries simply wishing to adopt linux as their OS of choice, which tends to save a lot of money for companies taking willing to go open source. I believe that this model also allows for greater flexibility in a LIMS. Historically we've had issues choosing a do-it-all lims because they were just to rigid, and designed to handle specific tasks, at very high costs nonetheless.

anyway... I'm certainly not opposed to the irony of buying a free tool, given that it comes with a great deal of added benefit. At the moment, it just does more than we need it to, and we don't have the money to invest yet. Which is why I was curious to learn of modules or components we could leverage to build our own very light weight framework for tracking our NGS data. The open source modules Bioteam will be releasing could potentially solve this problem for us, and IMHO will likely make the case for many institutions to buy the full product, once they've proven the value associated with such a tool on a basic level.

Comment

Originally posted by jperin View Post
                  the business model of 'repackaging' open source (free) tools and selling them for a profit is not completely unheard of.
                  True. And to their credit, BioTeam does have some solid molecular biologists on their team--they aren't just some programmers trying to cash in on the "bioinformatics" craze.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses