SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
comparison of Ion Proton RNAseq data with Illumina pair end data? vipul jain General 3 01-25-2015 11:11 AM
MiSeq FastQ Header for pair-end data golharam Illumina/Solexa 3 01-16-2015 02:06 PM
75+35 Pair-end SOLiD RNA-seq data analysis endether SOLiD 11 12-12-2012 04:40 PM
how to combine pair end data into one file forget1997 Bioinformatics 6 06-19-2011 01:45 PM
What is this strand specific pair-end RNA-seq data? xhuister Bioinformatics 2 09-14-2010 06:34 AM

Old 10-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
bbm

Default cutadapt questions on pair-end seqeuencing data

I'm trying to use cutadapt to trim my data. The adaptor sequences from Illumina only has a universal adapter, then one sequence for each index.
Example here:
TruSeq Universal Adapter
5 AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT
TruSeq Adapter, Index 1 5
5 GATCGGAAGAGCACACGTCTGAACTCCAGTCACATCACGATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTG
TruSeq Adapter, Index 2
5 GATCGGAAGAGCACACGTCTGAACTCCAGTCACCGATGTATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTG
TruSeq Adapter, Index 3
5 GATCGGAAGAGCACACGTCTGAACTCCAGTCACTTAGGCATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTG

When I read the guide from cutadapt for pair-end data, they suggest a file named ADAPTER_FWD (should be trimmed from the forward reads (filename.1.fastq.gz) and a file named ADAPTER_REV from the reverse reads (filename.2.fastq.gz).
So my question is: What sequence do I put in ADAPTER_FWD, and what sequence in ADAPTER_REV?

The command is:
cutadapt -a ADAPTER_FWD -A ADAPTER_REV -o out.1.fastq -p out.2.fastq reads.1.fastq reads.2.fastq
bbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
bbm

Another related question here:
My sequencing center said they didn't trimmed any adapters. So I went to the fastq.gz files, and grep the adapter sequence for the first 1 million reads, I only have 10442 hits. I wonder why the hits number is so small? Does that mean 989,558 reads are shorter and without the adapters?
Thanks!
bbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

Most sequences will be shorter than full length, and/or contain errors, and thus not match exactly with grep.

I recommend you use BBDuk for adapter trimming, using the command at the top of the post.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote