Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discrepancy in miseq runs due to sample prep protocol?

Hi all,

I have had an issue where my first ever Miseq run was great quality: 100k reads per sample with a nice distribution and then after switching sequencing facilities I get lower outputs and also a highly variable spread where many samples are under 10k reads per sample and some are as high as 300k. See original post here to learn more about the parameters if intersted: here

The libraries are all similar 16S libraries but the three minor things that did change were:
    1. I added a heating step to the extractions using the PowerSoil Extractions Kits (65C for 10 mins and then 95C for 10 mins before the Power bead step)
    2. I switched from AMPure Bead cleans after both PCR 1 and PCR 2 to only 1 bead clean with OMEGA Beads after the 2nd PCR.
    3. I switched from 35 cycles in the 1st PCR to 28 cycles.

Nothing seemed to change in the "quality" of the DNA as I got similar gel results and quantifications. However I did get different QC results with the first good run having a nice skinny peak, and the bad runs having more of a lumpy hill around the fragment size (attached a picture below).

Any ideas if I should be worried about my lab protocol? Or should I rethink which sequencing facility I use (The new place is very very cheap which is why we switched)?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Sam
    Attached Files

The simplest way to isolate the problem is to have new facility sequence the old (high quality) sample - if the data are good, it's not the facility. Alternatively, prepare your next sample with both the original and modified protocols (with indices to discriminate the two) and compare the sequence data.

Comment

Originally posted by samd View Post
      Nothing seemed to change in the "quality" of the DNA as I got similar gel results and quantifications. However I did get different QC results with the first good run having a nice skinny peak, and the bad runs having more of a lumpy hill around the fragment size (attached a picture below).
      Don't over interpret the differences between these two traces since they were obviously performed using different instruments. The one on the left appears to be an Advanced Analytical Fragment Analyzer and on the right an Agilent TapeStation. Due to differences in the electrophoretic matrix and run conditions the same library may appear to migrate differently on different instruments. Also note that the X axis (size scale) is much more compressed on the Fragment Analyzer relative to the TapeStation so naturally peaks will appear more compressed.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses