Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct way of merging samples for father, mother, child trio variant calling

I am new to NGS data analysis and I'm working in a multiple-sample variant calling workflow. I have Illumina-Miseq fastq files (paired end, raw reads) for a father, mother and child trio, one pair for each individual, totalling 6 files. I could trim, align, do the pre-processing and variant calling for each individual pair separately (I'm skipping indel-realignment and quality recalibration, for the sake of simplicity, as this workflow is intended for learning only), but I wish to merge the samples into a single file. I wish that the alignment step (with BWA-MEN), the pre-processing steps (with Picard) and the variant calling step (with FreeBayes), are done at once for all samples, if possible and correct, while taking in consideration the correct paired end mates and the respective read groups (when applicable).

My final goal is to obtain a single vcf file from which I'll compute the total number of different kinds of variants.

At which step, in which file format and with which Galaxy tools can I merge the samples in a manner that I can get correct, meaninful results at the variant calling step?

Hello,

in my opinion you have no benefit if you merge your reads and do all the steps at once. It should be enough to do the variant calling for all samples together. Freebayes have the possibility to define multiple bam files as inputs and the result will be a multisample vcf file.

fin swimmer

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses