No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on analysing RNA-seq time series

Hi everyone,

I have performed RNA-seq from different stages of embryogenesis. Some stages have two, three or four replicates, while some have none. I want to identify a set of genes that I can say are associated with embryogenesis in general - of all stages.

What I have done so far is to use DESeq2 and performed pairwise DE-tests between all the different stages and extracted the significant genes from each test, pooled them and extracted the unique genes. But I am not sure if this is the best way (or even a correct way) to do it. And I guess I should perform some kind of statistical test on my procedure, like permutations or something.

Any advice on how to analyse this data is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

hi Jon,

The likelihood ratio test (see the section in the vignette) can be used to test for differences at any stage. Here, you specify a reduced formula where you remove the stage variable from the design (so if your design is ~ stage, then reduced = ~ 1).

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Love View Post
      hi Jon,

The likelihood ratio test (see the section in the vignette) can be used to test for differences at any stage. Here, you specify a reduced formula where you remove the stage variable from the design (so if your design is ~ stage, then reduced = ~ 1).

Mike
      Thanks!

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Love View Post
        hi Jon,

Mike
        Dear Mike,

Sorry for asking novice questions.
        I have only one variable to my design (condition) that includes all the different stages as well as the non-reproductive stages (which I want to use as controls). When I created the dataset I used design = ~ condition, but will this be correct if I want to use reduced = ~ 1 as you suggested?

Jon

Comment

Using full = ~ condition and reduced = ~ 1 tests for any difference in counts related to the levels of condition. this will include genes where stage 1 is different than control, and genes where stage 2 is different than stage 1, etc.

Comment

The basic idea here is you’re looking for genes in which the beta term in the equation expression = beta * stage + constant is significantly different from zero. This is a generalized linear model.

So you’re not going to get genes that are just different between stage 1 and stage 2, then do what ever else in stages 3-5 or what not. You’re going to be finding genes that consistently show a trend, up or down, as stage progresses.

You can also put any other confounding variables in there. So if you have different batches of embryos in any way or different sequencing run/library prep days, you may want to try to control for that by adding another variable (design = ~ condition + batch, reduce = ~ batch).

Comment

hi Wally,

re: "show a trend" that would be true if stage was a numeric, but I guess Jon coded it is a factor.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses