SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tophat: merging accepted_hits.bam and unmapped.bam offspring RNA Sequencing 36 08-13-2015 03:08 AM
merging bam files with samtools tahamasoodi Bioinformatics 3 01-18-2013 11:38 PM
output info from samtools pileup? shuang Bioinformatics 1 09-26-2011 04:35 PM
Info about rf vs fr with samtools or other? Protaeus Bioinformatics 0 11-17-2010 11:47 AM
New merge function creates Sanger Quality Sequence from NGS paired end reads SoftGenetics Vendor Forum 0 02-23-2010 07:29 AM

Old 02-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
bioinfotechs

Default Samtools version 1.3.1 merge function, merging two bam, doesnt contain all the info.

Hey all,
I have read many suggestions about merging two or multiple BAM files using samtools merge function. I have also read in the documentation how it works. However, none of the solutions or suggestions seem to work in my case.
From the beginning, I had reads which I align using SMALT and NextGenMap (individually), obtain the alignment in SAM, convert to BAM, sort and do other calculation. I was using these BAMs to generate consensus sequence using mpileup to be used in my annotation pipeline.
Now, I want to merge BAMs from two alignment methods namely SMALT and NextGenMap, and use this merged BAM to generate consensus sequence to be used in my annotation pipeline. I want to do so because I believe that there will be many reads aligning to reference at the same configuration in common and that it will also make my further predictions more accurate. While I use samtools merge, on my sorted bam files, it generates a BAM file which does seem to satisfy the statistics but after generating consensus sequence from this bam, there are about only 8-10% of the contigs in this new consensus sequence file as compared to consensus sequence files generated by BAMs of SMALT and NextGenMap. This seems to miss out on many predicted results I obtain individually.
Anyone has any idea what I can do in such situation or may be in dept of how samtools merge actually puts everything together. Many thanks!!
bioinfotechs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bams, samtools, samtools merge