No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaptor dimer contamination

Dear All,

We are facing some problems with adaptor dimers in Illumina RNA seq library prep.

There is a small amount of adaptor dimer (at ~150 bp) in a few of the samples. We tried a second bead clean up on half of the sample, but lost a significant amount of material. We talked with Illumina tech support, and this is a tiny enough amount of adaptor that they felt if was fine to go forward. There will be some adaptor only reads that the analyst can filter from the data, but it should be a small percentage.

I attach the profile of the sample most contaminated, do you think this wont influence the amplicfication of my library??

Many thanks,
    Paolo
    Attached Files

Ampure Size Selection to remove adapter dimer

Hi Paolo,

What bead to sample volume ratio did you use for your cleanup? If you use the wrong ratio, loss of library is possible. See slide 52: http://www.broadinstitute.org/files/...PrepSlides.pdf

A ratio of 0.7-0.8x is pretty effective at removing the adapter dimer band without resulting in sample loss.

I would personally do one more cleanup to completely remove the dimer band. Try it out on a non-precious sample first to test.

- Genohub

Comment

That's a lot of adapter dimer relative to your sample! Adapter dimer tends to hybridize to the flow cell much better than your actual library. I'd be worried about sequencing mainly adapter dimer if I loaded that onto our MiSeq.

Comment

In my experience, that amount of adapter dimer would cause some significant problems on a MiSeq, and you would definitely lose quite a number of reads on HiSeq as well.

Comment

dilute your adaptors, up to 10 folds dilution, you can try different ratio to get the best result.

Comment

Yes, this will definitely fail quality control. Nowadays the beads have improved a lot. You can use AmPure XP or NVIGEN MagVigen. But MagVigen fares better. https://www.nvigen.com/dna-clean-up/

Disclosure: I work at NVIGEN. In case you find problems using MagVigen. We will be happily work with you to troubleshoot or fine tune it for your needs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses