• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU CUDA BLAST Efficiency

I am currently in the possession of the following:

7x CPU
    16 GB memory

and a GeForce GTX 670 GPU
    Check out the latest NVIDIA GeForce technology specifications, system requirements, and more.

Now I was testing CUDA BLAST and basically you can set the database up with three different parameters as far as I could find. Namely the following:

-gpu_blocks
    -gpu_threads
    -max_file_sz

Now I had a script running that combines a various of settings and then ran BLAST. The speed for all vs all of 1308 proteins varied from 55 seconds to 19 seconds. Now I was curious how do I know what is the best setting beside trying out all possible combinations?

I should have 1344 CUDA Cores on the GPU.

Hi jjk - I can't answer your questions, but I was wondering what your benchmark time is with standalone blast without the GPU.

Just a guess but I would think that -gpu_threads should be fixed to 1344 since that is how many cores you have. That would reduce the number combinations you have to search. You could do a grid search, or in your case a cube search. If you imagine your search space as a cube you can start your search in a defined smaller cube and do an exhaustive search of all possible combinations within. If your optimum lands on an edge, you can search the next space adjacent to that and continue until you reach an optimum that is not on an edge. That may save you from searching the whole space.

You could also try a genetic algorithm...and there are other optimization strategies out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jjk View Post
      I am currently in the possession of the following:

7x CPU
      16 GB memory

and a GeForce GTX 670 GPU
      Check out the latest NVIDIA GeForce technology specifications, system requirements, and more.

Now I was testing CUDA BLAST and basically you can set the database up with three different parameters as far as I could find. Namely the following:

-gpu_blocks
      -gpu_threads
      -max_file_sz

Now I had a script running that combines a various of settings and then ran BLAST. The speed for all vs all of 1308 proteins varied from 55 seconds to 19 seconds. Now I was curious how do I know what is the best setting beside trying out all possible combinations?

I should have 1344 CUDA Cores on the GPU.
      I ran into similar issues though I found that the best speed was obtained by maxing out the -gpu_threads=1024 reducing the file size to 1 MB and then finding the largest -gpu_blocks that is permitted based on the limitations of memory on the GPU.

One caveat is that I have come to conclude that a single GPU is not faster than 30-60 cpu cores and probably less for BLASTing.

Best of luck

Andrew

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses