SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torrent server and Galaxy? Tucker303 Ion Torrent 11 02-04-2012 01:01 PM
Galaxy Bowtie alignment stats report ericguo Bioinformatics 1 12-08-2011 11:57 AM
Register for the Geneious Server Public Beta Trial Geneious Vendor Forum 0 09-13-2010 09:21 PM
Viewing sense and antisense alignment separately uqdbarr1 Bioinformatics 0 06-07-2010 07:17 PM
BFAST Web Server for the alignment of ABI SOLiD Data nilshomer Bioinformatics 2 05-18-2010 08:17 AM

Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Mshegrss

Default viewing Galaxy public server alignment output

Hi all,

Does anybody know how to format .sam, .bam or .bed data in order that Galaxy gives an internal link to view the data using the UCSC site? I did a lot of trial and error changes in file format, and the only promising development was that changing the file format to BigBed gave it the label "Binary UCSC BigBed file", but still with no link to a program or site that can view the data.

I tried uploading this BigBed file to UCSC as a custom track, but the upload link times out before getting anywhere. Is there a way to access the FTP domain (from outside of the UCSC) in order to transfer the file from my computer with FileZilla?

Alternatively, my BAM file output in the History offers a link to GeneTrack, but not to Ensambl or to the UCSC. GeneTrack doesn't open the file, but gives an error message, and all the help in Seqanswers and elsewhere are for installing GeneTrack into your private Galaxy instance, not the public server.

Is there another program/site better for the homology analysis itself? Basically, I'm interested in checking homology between two plasmids and ngs bacterial genomic dna. My tendancy is to use Bioedit, since the plasmids that I'm checking for chromosomal homology are in FASTA files, but Bioedit can't open my ngs data output from Galaxy.

I'd much appreciate any advice.

Last edited by Mshegrss; 04-17-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Mshegrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

BioEdit is dead software. You might find UGene a suitable replacement (free, open source).

As to the Galaxy+BAM issues... I'm not sure about that - have you tried their mailing list? Also, have you tried Galaxy's built in viewer Trackster instead?
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Mshegrss

Thank you very much! UGene let me open and manipulate .bam output from Galaxy!

Many thanks
Mshegrss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment format, galaxy, ucsc genome browser