No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTSeq not working with Bowtie2 .SAM

Hi all,

I am having a weird problem with my Bowtie2 .SAM output for use with HTseq to count reads that correspond to genes in a .gff file.

Usually, I can just feed my Bowtie1 .SAM into HTseq using the following command:

htseq-count -m union -s no -t gene -i ID -o myOutput.sam myInput.sam organism.gff

However, after switching to Bowtie2 and running the same command, I get gigabytes of this:

Warning: Read HWI-ST1234:350WK3ACXX:6:1101:1780:2126/1 claims to have an aligned mate which could not be found. (Is the SAM file properly sorted?)
    Warning: Read HWI-ST1234:350WK3ACXX:6:1101:1780:2126/2 claims to have an aligned mate which could not be found. (Is the SAM file properly sorted?)
    Warning: Read HWI-ST1234:350WK3ACXX:6:1101:1671:2238/1 claims to have an aligned mate which could not be found. (Is the SAM file properly sorted?)
    Warning: Read HWI-ST1234:350WK3ACXX:6:1101:1671:2238/2 claims to have an aligned mate which could not be found. (Is the SAM file properly sorted?)
    Warning: Read HWI-ST1234:350WK3ACXX:6:1101:2011:2134/1 claims to have an aligned mate which could not be found. (Is the SAM file properly sorted?)
    Warning: Read HWI-ST1234:350WK3ACXX:6:1101:2011:2134/2 claims to have an aligned mate which could not be found. (Is the SAM file properly sorted?)

According to other forums, this usually happens when the SAM isn't sorted by read ID, so that htseq can't find the two halves of a paired-end read. However, I tried sorting my SAM in multiple ways, such as:

sort -k1 myfile.sam > myfile_sorted.sam

I still get the same error! Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

If any of those reads are multimapped, then using the command line sort command will not do what you want. Use samtools sort -n

Comment

@dpryan,

Thanks for the reply, but can you please explain your answer? How does the samtools sort command differ than unix sort?

Also, since Bowtie2 produces a SAM file by default, to use SAMtools sort, do I have to first convert to BAM, then sort, then convert back to SAM?

Thanks...

Comment

The problem is the /1 and /2 in your read names. The SAM specification indicates that the names of paired reads be identical. SAM identifies read 1 or read 2 by the FLAG bits. Remove the /1 & /2 from the names in your SAM files and repeat your analysis.

Comment

@kmcarr

Wonderful, I trimmed the /1 and /2 off my reads and made sure the mates were next to each other after sorting, and HTSEQ runs fine without the previous error messages.

Quick question...
          After processing a few thousands reads, HTSEQ reports the following error:

Warning: Malformed SAM line: MRNM != '*' although flag bit &0x0008 set
          Warning: Malformed SAM line: RNAME != '*' although flag bit &0x0004 set

This is from raw Bowtie2 output; the only modifications were my /1 and /2 trimming and sorting.

Anyone have an idea where these errors are coming from??

Thanks!

Comment

RNAME and MRNM are the name of the chromosome (or scaffold or whatever) to which the current read and its mate (for MRNM) map. Since the flags indicate that the reads are unmapped, it's just complaining that there's stuff here instead of an *, meaning "Not available". I don't recall ever seeing that with bowtie2, only bwa. You can normally ignore such warnings.

Comment

@dpryan,

Thanks for all your help. My analysis is working well now

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses