No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to append fasta files

Hi,

I have a series of snp and indels (csv format) for which I know the exact location on the the human genome (chromosome# and nucleotide position) and I would like to append the human genome (fasta format) by inserting the snp/indels (from the csv file) at the genomic position describe in the csv file.

Is anyone can suggest me a computer tool that could help? I have some basic skills (very very basic skills) in programming with python but this one would be too difficult for me to realize.

Thank you for your help

You're not looking to "append" (which would put this information at the end), but rather simply modify the original (presumably writing the modified version to a new file). An example program would be GATK's FastaAlternateReferenceMaker.

Comment

Ok. Thank you.

But the command line to run FastaAlternateReferenceMaker requires a .intervals file (that one has been produced using the GATK pipeline) as input. Also I performed the variant calling using Varscan2. So the number of intervals in the .intervals file doesn't necessarily match the number of variants called by Varscan2. Is it a problem?

I tried althought the unmatched numbers of variants and intervals, and got this output (it's only a infinite part of it):

>1
      GC
      >2
      CA
      >3
      AG
      >4
      AAAC

I was surprised because I thought that the output would be a fasta file with modified sequences (in my case the input was the full human genome, each sequence being a chromosome)... I ended up with sequences of 2 or few nucleotides long...

Comment

The interval file just specifies particular ranges to look at. For the whole genome, just specify all of the chromosomes.

Comment

So for the whole genome, I do not need the .intervals file in the input command line...

Comment

Whether the command itself will allow it or not I don't know. If it doesn't complain when you just ignore that option then there's presumably no need. Otherwise, just input the bounds of each chromosome (yes, this would seem rather silly).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses