No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size issue of Pacbio Reads

Hello everyone,

I have pacbio reads for a bacteria in fastq format of size 2.6 G. I wanted to run a denovo assembly using SPAdes. I used the basic command for running an unpaired pacbio read which is

$./spades.py -s Pacbio.fastq -o /home/spades_run

The issue I am facing now is that it is taking too long for the reads to assemble. Can anyone suggest how to reduce the run time?

Thank you

Did you run your reads through HGAP first?

Comment

Hello Luc,
      Its my understanding that HGAP requires .h5 files which i do not have. I just have the fastq files

Comment

In this case I would try to run SPRAI first:

and try to get the h5 files anyhow.

Comment

Another option is PBcR (Celera Assembler) use MHAP for the overlapping and the assembly should complete in a couple of hours on a single 16 core machine.
          +1 for getting the h5, you will need the information in the h5 to run quiver and get a high quality consensus for the final assembly.

Comment

Thank you luc and rhall. I will try these programs.

Comment

Hello,

I am not sure if I should start a new thread for this. but since it is an issue surrounding PBcR I thought I would continue here. I tried using PBcR command on my pacbio.fastq. This is what I used

$wgs-8.2/Linux-amd64/bin/PBcR -length 500 -partitions 200 -l S_pacbio -s /wgs-8.2/Linux-amd64/bin/sampleData/pacbio.spec -fastq pacbio.fastq genomeSize=2800000

It abruptly ends and I am getting the S_pacbio.fastq file as

Cannot open self /home/kvaviko/bin/wgs-8.2/Linux-amd64/bin/falcon_sense or archive /home/kvaviko/bin/wgs-8.2/Linux-amd64/bin/falcon_sense.pkg
              +
              ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Comment

Falcon_Sense

I have the same problem;

"Cannot open self" from falcon_sense. And it's there......

Comment

For PBcR bugs http://sourceforge.net/p/wgs-assembler/bugs/ is probably a better place to post things like this.

Comment

Check permissions on those files (since they are in bin they will likely need execute permissions, add for all). We recently ran into issues where file permissions were not correctly set for some components of SMRTportal by default install process.

Comment

Hello,

So i was able to fix the Falcon_sense issue. Apparently the pipeline had some issues with the falcon_sense pkg in december. One of the developers of PBcR suggested to download the precompiled binaries for CA 8.2 again from the website. I ran PBcR again after downloading the latest PBcR and I am no longer running into that problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty1947 View Post
                        Hello everyone,

I have pacbio reads for a bacteria in fastq format of size 2.6 G. I wanted to run a denovo assembly using SPAdes. I used the basic command for running an unpaired pacbio read which is

$./spades.py -s Pacbio.fastq -o /home/spades_run

The issue I am facing now is that it is taking too long for the reads to assemble. Can anyone suggest how to reduce the run time?

Thank you
                        SPAdes cannot be used for de novo assembly of PacBio reads alone (unless you have pre-corrected or CCS reads). As stated in the manual, SPAdes performs *hybrid* assembly of your Illumina / IonTorrent + PacBio data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses