SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modify cummeRbund plots in R studio: color, error bar width cbaudo Bioinformatics 0 02-24-2016 11:18 AM
Compare RNA-seq and qPCR results using bar plots with error bars aggp11 RNA Sequencing 1 10-11-2013 01:50 PM
Converting BED format to bar gwbyeon Bioinformatics 1 08-31-2010 11:31 PM
Error Bar in 454's Flowgram foolishbrat 454 Pyrosequencing 0 08-10-2009 01:49 AM
Help with 454 bar coded samples FLXTech 454 Pyrosequencing 2 05-16-2008 01:30 AM

Old 05-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
azim58

Default automatically place sample size label above the error bar for each bar?

Is there some software that will allow me to create a bar graph which automatically places the sample size label above the error bar for each bar? I work in a biology lab, and I have to make a lot of bar graphs which would be suitable for a scientific journal publication. I usually make these graphs in Excel. However, I have to manually create text boxes to put the sample size above the error bar of each bar, and this can be time consuming. Ideally, I would also like the created graph to be editable in powerpoint. The sample size labels may need to be adjusted as well as the x and y axis labels.
azim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #2
Michael.Ante

Hi Azim58,

AFAIK, it is quite hard combining MS-Office-based and still editable graphs with the requirements for publications. If you have a bit of time, I'd recommend to learn the R language. There are a lot of galleries online which show you how to draw certain graphs. Moreover, you can export the R graphs into many formats and different resolutions. Thus, you'll meet the requirements fro publication (e.g. a eps file with 600 dpi).

For your problem you can have a look here.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael.Ante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
azim58

Thanks for the reply Michael.Ante. The graph in that gallery gets me closer to what I am looking for. However, that graph does not have error bars or significance bars.
azim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
Michael.Ante

For adding error bars (there is a bit more coding involved) you can use the arrow function in R.
There are a couple of blogs how to do that. For example, have a look at Monkey's Uncle from Stanford.
Michael.Ante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, graph, sample size, software