No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference Based de Novo Assembly

Hi,

I'm trying to de novo assembly the genome of a non-model mammalian species with a relatively large genome (~3 Gb) for which we have a relatively close reference - average 5% divergent (~12 My). What I was wondering is if there is any way I can take advantage of this relatively close reference to assemble my genome and in that case what would be the best strategy.

One of things I thougth was to first do the de novo assembly of my genome (in allpaths-lg, for which the data was specially tailored) and then to use the reference to help scaffolding the contigs/scaffolds resulting from the de novo assembly - i'm aware that, for instance, AlignGraph is designed for this task. Could this be a good solution or is there any other tool available (not that I don't want to use AlignGraph but I want to be aware of the possible tools)?

Thanks,
    Fernando
    Fernando

You can still use ALLPATHS-LG with the reference based assembly option

Comment

I'm curious about this one: IDBA-Hybrid: an iterative De Bruijn Graph De Novo Assembler for hybrid sequencing

Comment

Let us know how it goes. I guess by hybrid it means short reads and PacBio??
        I used a very close reference (2 My) to aid a de novo assembly with ALLPATHS-LG and I saw no improvement over the de novo itself. Plus I am not sure it is a good idea to force DNA to go where your close reference has it, the little difference between the two species might be due to gene copy, larger genes or in different places of the genome. I am not too keen to use a reference if it's not the same species. For scaffolding it is a good idea. Have you tried SSPACE? you can also use a transcriptome to scaffold.

Comment

Hi I am considering using AlignGraph as well to improve my de novo assembly (only PE illumine reads) of a filamentous fungus (30 Mb genome). What was your experience with the tool?

Comment

I want to assemble a bacteria strain from only PE150 reads. I have a finished reference that is the same lineage of the strain. I already mapped my reads to the reference and generated a bam.

Which reference-based assembler do you recommend for my case? Thanks a lot!

Comment

You have a lot of options but for bacteria look at MIRA, Ray, Abyss, Velvet... I find that depending on the species one software might perform better than other so you have to try several and see which one works best for you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses