Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeted sequencing: Size of target region

We are considering the possibility of doing some targeted sequencing to identify genes under selection, however having read around about it I am a little bit unclear by what is actually meant by the target size. Is this the size of the region we can expect to get sequence data back for or is the the size of the region the baits/probe etc catch/target?

My reason for asking is that we are trying to identify SNP's using RAD at the moment and I hope to be able to get sequence data for ~1Kb either side of my SNP to identify the gene under selection. However if we need to already have sequence data for the target region this wont be possible as our RAD data probably wont be long enough.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

I believe it is the size of the region tiled with baits.

In any case, your ability to capture information nearby will be limited by the fragment size used in capture. A lot of capture protocols use relatively short fragments; you'll want to look for one that captures 1Kb or more.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses