No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on calling SNPs using samtools/bcftools

Hi,

I am using samtools/bcftools to call SNPs. I have a question on bcftools, I don't understand why this SNP is not called by bcftools. For example, this is the result of test.bcf file, which is created by:

Code:
    samtools mpileup -ugf ref.fa seq.bam >test.bcf
    chr21 8588396 . T A,X 0 . DP=13;I16=1,9,0,3,378,14392,73,1809,600,36000,180,10800,93,1075,42,642 PL 27,0,57,190,199,232
    From PL value, P(D|TT)=10^(-2.7), P(D|TA)=0. So TA allele should be the most possible allele.

But in the processed vcf using this command:

Code:
    bcftools view -c test.bcf > test_count.vcf
    This SNP is:
    chr21 8588396 . T . 4.76 . DP=13;AF1=0.4995;CI95=0.5,0.5;DP4=1,9,0,3;MQ=60;PV4=1,5.9e-05,1,1 PL 27
    There is no alternative base information, but the AF1 is about 0.5, which means this is an heterozygous allele. And, if I use the following command, there is no SNP called at all.

Code:
    bcftools view -vcg test.bcf > test_count.vcf
    Why the alternative base is not A??? Is there any option I can choose to call this SNP?

BTW, I am using samtools version 0.1.10-6.

Cheers,

Jun

Originally posted by nkwuji View Post
    Hi,

I am using samtools/bcftools to call SNPs. I have a question on bcftools, I don't understand why this SNP is not called by bcftools. For example, this is the result of test.bcf file, which is created by:

Code:
    samtools mpileup -ugf ref.fa seq.bam >test.bcf

From PL value, P(D|TT)=10^(-2.7), P(D|TA)=0. So TA allele should be the most possible allele.

But in the processed vcf using this command:

Code:
    bcftools view -c test.bcf > test_count.vcf
    This SNP is:

There is no alternative base information, but the AF1 is about 0.5, which means this is an heterozygous allele. And, if I use the following command, there is no SNP called at all.

Code:
    bcftools view -vcg test.bcf > test_count.vcf
    Why the alternative base is not A??? Is there any option I can choose to call this SNP?

BTW, I am using samtools version 0.1.10-6.

Cheers,

Jun
    Still unsolved... waiting for an answer...

Comment

you need to apply the prior

Comment

Originally posted by lh3 View Post
        Hi, Lh3,

Thx for your reply. Could you elaborate it? I find an option in bcttools view

-P STR, type of prior: full, cond2, flat

Do you mean this option? What are the differences between them?

Cheers,
        Jun

Comment

Originally posted by nkwuji View Post
          Hi, Lh3,

Thx for your reply. Could you elaborate it? I find an option in bcttools view

-P STR, type of prior: full, cond2, flat

Do you mean this option? What are the differences between them?

Cheers,
          Jun
          Hi, could someone please comment on this please? I'm also looking into the differences between the "prior" commands, and I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!
          Lisa

Comment

Hi,

Another request here for some more information with regards the 'prior' and snp calling options of bcftools. I've been trying to learn how to change the parameters of the snp calling but can't find much information on how to change the parameters in bcftools.

I've also got a second related question about bcftools, the mpileup page says
            BCFtools does not properly handle multi-allelic variants. It only takes the strongest non-reference allele.
            Does anybody know how much of an issue this is? I'm expecting a number of my SNPs to be heterozygous with no allele match to the reference, will this issue prevent me seeing them?

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by lh3 View Post
              -- (minus minus)
              Homepage: Dan Bolser
              MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses