Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error when using HTSeq count

I used Tophat to produce a bam file from paired end RNAseq data, as well as unpaired reads that were retained after trimming. I then sorted by read name and converted the bam to a sam file. When I run HTSeq with the following arguments:

python count.py -m intersection-strict -s yes 13_accepted_hits.sam Sus_scrofa.gtf

I get an error message:

100000 GFF lines processed.
    200000 GFF lines processed.
    300000 GFF lines processed.
    400000 GFF lines processed.
    496967 GFF lines processed.
    Error occured when processing SAM input (line 4684 of file 13_acc
    epted_hits.sam):
    'pair_alignments' needs a sequence of paired-end alignments
    [Exception type: ValueError, raised in __init__.py:612]

It looks to me that there are unpaired reads in the sam file that are causing the problem. Do I have to run separate Tophat alignments with the paired-end and unpaired data, then run the sam files through HTSeq and add the resulting counts together? Is there no way to use HTSeq with a both paired and unpaired reads in the same file? Thanks.

HTSeq requires that the file is name sorted, but the default sorting of some programs is position sorting. I had the same problem, resorting by name fixed it. I think it can handle paired end and non paired end in the same file (not certain), the problem comes when the name indicates a paired read but the next line is a diferent read.

samtools sort -n in.bam out.sort

Comment

As I said in the original post, I sorted by read name. However I know the unpaired reads have the /1 and /2 read name endings, so maybe that could be the issue?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses