Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The left reads map 95% while the right reads map only 0.7% using tophat

I have a problem. I try aligning paired end data of restrictive heart cardiomyopathy using tophat and I get this summary:
    tophat2 -o trialtophatRestrictive3 -p 20 -G /data2/hg19/genes.gtf /data2/hg19/genome SRR2138385_1.fastq SRR2138385_2.fastq
    Left reads:
    Input : 56776839
    Mapped : 54092930 (95.3% of input)
    of these: 3069097 ( 5.7%) have multiple alignments (4267 have >20)
    Right reads:
    Input : 56776839
    Mapped : 420422 ( 0.7% of input)
    of these: 21837 ( 5.2%) have multiple alignments (32 have >20)
    48.0% overall read mapping rate.

Aligned pairs: 411231
    of these: 21368 ( 5.2%) have multiple alignments
    8215 ( 2.0%) are discordant alignments

The left reads map 95% while the right reads map only 0.7%
    What should I do?
    I did fastqc before tophat and the reports for the forward and reverse were fine.
    I appreciate your help
    Thanks alot
    Sarah
    Last edited by s_halawa; 01-06-2016, 03:35 PM.

Hey kmcarr,
    All these links are posts made by me I'm kind of desperate to solve this problem.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by s_halawa View Post
      I'm kind of desperate to solve this problem.
      Obviously.

kmcarr is pointing out that is not polite to cross-post the same message/question to multiple forums within the same bulletin board. By doing so you end up with different people answering the question in different threads thus causing a lot of confusion and a duplication of effort which wastes everyone's time.

kmcarr is also pointing out that to some people it is also not polite to post the same message to multiple related bulletin boards -- e.g., biostars and SeqAnswers -- for the same reasons as above: you will waste the time of people who read both bulletin boards and have to mentally merge the replies from both.

I see that Biostars (which I do not read on a regular basis) has given you some replies. I'll see if I come up with something useful to comment on.

Comment

Antonio from Biostars has the best suggestion. Map only the supposedly poor-mapping R2 reads (SRR2138385_2.fastq). See if you get the same results as when you map R1 and R2 together. If

(a) if you get the same results then your R2 reads are not from human; figure out where they come from?

(b) if you get radically different results (i.e., by themselves the R2 reads map at 90+%) then there is a problems with R1+R2. Most like that the reads are out of order.

Comment

I am very sorry! I'm really new to the notions of forums. But I understand your point and I'm hinestly and truly very sorry. I will erase the posts from the different groups, and leave it only in one thread. Thank you for pointing this out to me and thank you also very much for your advice and help.

Comment

I am very sorry kmcarr fir this honest mistake. I'm really new to this idea of forums, this was my first post ever, but now I understand. I want to erase all posts and leave just one thread. Can you tell me how to delete posts on forums, I can't find any delete feature. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by s_halawa View Post
              I am very sorry kmcarr fir this honest mistake. I'm really new to this idea of forums, this was my first post ever, but now I understand. I want to erase all posts and leave just one thread. Can you tell me how to delete posts on forums, I can't find any delete feature. Thank you
              I have deleted the duplicate posts. Normally "Delete" your own post option is under "Edit" section of your post but it may not become available to new users until they successfully post a certain number of times (may be ~10).

Comment

How can I delete this entire thread? Thank you

Comment

@s_halawa: Not to derail you from correct bulletin board etiquette but getting back to the bioinformatics problem, have you done what Antonio and I have suggested?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses