No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA extraction and DNase treatment

Hi there,
    I am planning to carry out a small RNA sequencing project and would like some advice on the RNA extraction/ DNase treatment protocols. One of my plans is to use the MirVana Paris kit followed by Ambion DNase treatment (either Turbo or DNA free kits). Anyone tried these methods? After using the Ambion kits is it necessary to filter purify to remove the DNA removal reagent or is simple pipetting the RNA enough? I really want to avoid any contamination.

My other choice is to use the Norgen RNA extraction kits and do an on-column digestion with Invitrogen. It would avoid any post-RNA extraction procedures but may give a lower yield.
    I will perform the small RNA sequencing on the Illumina HiSeq

Any advice/ knowledge would be gratefully appreciated.

In my experience on-column DNase treatment is never as efficient at removing gDNA as in-solution DNase treatment. Anytime an RNA extraction protocol has an on-column DNase treatment step, I skip it, and follow up the extraction with Turbo DNase. With the Turbo kit you don't have to worry about purifying your RNA afterwards as the final step of the protocol uses an inactivation reagent to remove the enzyme and divalent cations from the RNA.

Comment

Many thanks lmolokin for your comments. IF you have any advice on concentrating the RNA with minimal loss please let me know as my RNA will need to be concentrated. Thanking you.

Comment

Happy to help.

I prefer to use vacuum centrifugation to concentrate my RNA, however, when doing so try to avoid spinning the RNA under vacuum for prolonged periods of time. I also typically never concentrate a volume greater than 40uL as I've had issues with RNA loss and degradation with larger volumes. Aliquot your sample into multiple fractions if you have to--this cuts the spin time down as well.

With my equipment, it takes about 10-12 minutes to concentrate a 40uL volume down to about 15-20uL.

Comment

I would recommend RNA Zymo Clean and concentrate columns (5ug) we use them instead of precipitations in our library protocols.

Comment

Thanks for that! Further to this, once I have obtained the ideal total RNA concentration, (200 ng/ul) I am going to try and sequence all of the small RNA (ie microRNA and piwiRNA) using the Illumina TruSeq small RNA library preparation and then sequence on the HiSeq Illumina. Is this feasible or is it better to focus on one family of small RNA?
            Thank you

Comment

I have used Turbo DNase followed by cleanup on Qiagen columns. The Turbo DNase kit does provide an inactivation agent that is supposed to remove the enzyme, but time and again I find that the inactivation agent fails to adequately remove the enzyme (I have been using it for ~ 5 years now). For more routine uses, I'll use the inactivation agent, but for my more valuable samples, I always follow up with cleanup on a column.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyryan View Post
                Thanks for that! Further to this, once I have obtained the ideal total RNA concentration, (200 ng/ul) I am going to try and sequence all of the small RNA (ie microRNA and piwiRNA) using the Illumina TruSeq small RNA library preparation and then sequence on the HiSeq Illumina. Is this feasible or is it better to focus on one family of small RNA?
                Thank you
                The Zymo columns mentioned up-thread seem to work well.

If you are using the Illumina TruSeq small RNA prep kit, then there is no need to isolate small RNA. It is designed for 1 ug of total RNA substrate. Even the DNAse treatment may not be needed -- it is recommended so that the amount of total RNA can be accurately estimated. But if you have a fluorimeter, like a Qbit, you could just use an RNA-specific fluor to determine your RNA concentration.

We have sequenced a larger "window" of small RNA sizes. Ended up running them in a 100 nt run, because no other 50 nt samples were in the queue. Looks like we got sequence of both miRNA and some other (larger) RNAs. Analysis isn't back yet, but I guess it worked.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Many thanks for your comments. Very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
                    I have used Turbo DNase followed by cleanup on Qiagen columns. The Turbo DNase kit does provide an inactivation agent that is supposed to remove the enzyme, but time and again I find that the inactivation agent fails to adequately remove the enzyme (I have been using it for ~ 5 years now). For more routine uses, I'll use the inactivation agent, but for my more valuable samples, I always follow up with cleanup on a column.
                    If someone would be interested, we have developed an IP protected magnetic bead with active DNase on the surface. Perhaps an elegant manner of removing the DNA without loosing sample or diluting it! If anyone would be interested in this feel free to send me a mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan de Bondt View Post
                      If someone would be interested, we have developed an IP protected magnetic bead with active DNase on the surface. Perhaps an elegant manner of removing the DNA without loosing sample or diluting it! If anyone would be interested in this feel free to send me a mail.
                      where to send the email?

Comment

Problem would be the DNA would degrade, but be left in solution with the RNA. So you end up having to do a size fractionation anyway to remove it.

I actually think the Zymo DNA-free RNA purification is the way to go for this. Your RNA prep is done and fairly clean. Hit it with a DNAse followed by a column clean-up to both remove the degraded DNA as well as the DNAse. As a bonus you also remove any other residual proteins or contaminants still remaining in your prep.

--
                        Phillip

Comment

Has anyone used RNAzol, from Molecular Research Center, they make the claim that DNAse is not required after extraction. See the link: http://www.mrcgene.com/rnazol.htm

Dave

Comment

Johan,

I am interested in your IP protected magnetic bead with active DNase on the surface. Is the information available online if not please let me know more about it via email.

Thanks,

Dave
                            Last edited by Papaveraceae; 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
                              Hi chadn 737,
                              We did the DNA removal using the Turbo DNase from Ambionbut used phenol:chloroform to inactivate the enzyme. Do you think this step is necessary or else, can you proceed directly to using the RNA clean-up using a kit (Qiagen)?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses