Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Trinity protocol] some question about step: quality assessment

I have a question about the step " Quality assessment " in the Trinity protocol

After assembling all file .fq i have a file Trinity.fasta is the result. Next step is makeblastdb from a file name S_pombe_refTrans.fasta -> where is file come from ? Is S_pombe_refTrans.fasta Trinity.fasta ? because i know now i do denovo assembly without reference

Tks in advance

If you are asking "is the Trinity.fasta file the same as the S_pombe_refTrans.fasta file" then the answer is no.

I assuming that you are following the tutorial using the enclosed data and not just running Trinity on your own data set. When you untar the TrinityNatureProtocolTutorial.tgz file you should get both the raw reads files plus the S_pombe_refTrans.fasta. After running Trinity on the reads files you will get a Trinity.fasta file. Since we know that the reads come from S_pombe and since there is already a good reference for S_pomba then, as per the tutorial, it is feasible to compare the denovo assembly of the reads (e.g., Trinity.fasta) with what should be found.

If you are running Trinity on your own data set then, unless you are using reads from a well characterized species, then (as I would hope is obvious) there is no way to compare the denovo Trinity.fasta assembly to a known reference since the latter would not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
      If you are asking "is the Trinity.fasta file the same as the S_pombe_refTrans.fasta file" then the answer is no.

I assuming that you are following the tutorial using the enclosed data and not just running Trinity on your own data set. When you untar the TrinityNatureProtocolTutorial.tgz file you should get both the raw reads files plus the S_pombe_refTrans.fasta. After running Trinity on the reads files you will get a Trinity.fasta file. Since we know that the reads come from S_pombe and since there is already a good reference for S_pomba then, as per the tutorial, it is feasible to compare the denovo assembly of the reads (e.g., Trinity.fasta) with what should be found.

If you are running Trinity on your own data set then, unless you are using reads from a well characterized species, then (as I would hope is obvious) there is no way to compare the denovo Trinity.fasta assembly to a known reference since the latter would not exist.
      ok thank u for your help, it 's lucky if i have the reference genome ( or transciptome ) on my data set, but if i have i think i will not do trinity

Comment

Certainly if you have a known transcriptome then there is little reason to do a denovo transcriptome. There can be some case for which doing a denovo transcriptome could be useful but for a first-pass effort mapping to something known is better than trying to create your own.

I suggest Tophat & Cufflinks for transcriptome mapping however there are other programs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
          Certainly if you have a known transcriptome then there is little reason to do a denovo transcriptome. There can be some case for which doing a denovo transcriptome could be useful but for a first-pass effort mapping to something known is better than trying to create your own.

I suggest Tophat & Cufflinks for transcriptome mapping however there are other programs as well.
          Yes, the first protocol i read and try in rna-seq is Tophat and Cufflink but now my data set dont have a reference so i must denovo assembly by Trinity

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses