• Show
Clear All

• GEOquery error message

Hello,

I am using Windows 7 and R 2.12.2

When I try to run these two lines I get the following error from getGEO

library(GEOquery)
    GSE7562 <- getGEO("GSE7562")

Found 1 file(s) GSE7562_series_matrix.txt.gz Error in file(con, "r") : cannot open the connection In addition: Warning messages: 1: In download.file(sprintf("ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/%s/%s", : download had nonzero exit status 2: In file(con, "r") : cannot open file 'C:\Users\APD\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmptmeDAb/GSE7562_series_matrix.txt.gz': No such file or directory

Am I missing something to get GEOquery working?

Thanks in advance,

Can you get to this file manually, e.g. in your browser:
    ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/..._matrix.txt.gz

That is what I believe geoquery is trying to download. Its about 2.5MB so quite small. I'm finding the FTP site works but is a bit slow....

Comment

Thanks. I downloaded the file but I still have the same error. Then, I went to the GEO Accession viewer and downloaded the file in .soft format. That seems to work. I would be a little disappointed if I have to these all the time.

Comment

What version of geoquery do you have? I notice your R is a little out of date.

Comment

I have version 2.17.5

Comment

The current version is geoquery 2.18.0, that might fix this...
            The NCBI Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) is a public repository of microarray data. Given the rich and varied nature of this resource, it is only natural to want to apply BioConductor tools to these data. GEOquery is the bridge between GEO and BioConductor.

Comment

This is somewhat unrelated. How can I update R and without losing all the packages I have installed?

I tried installing the newer version of GEOquery but it does work with my current R version.

Comment

Originally posted by akolman View Post
                This is somewhat unrelated. How can I update R and without losing all the packages I have installed?
                I don't think you can - the R API is likely to change between major releases. There might be a neat way to get a list of all the installed libraries, to make re-installing the same set easier - they can be installed via the R command line as well as via the R GUI.
                Originally posted by akolman View Post
                I tried installing the newer version of GEOquery but it does work with my current R version.
                Try asking Sean Davis directly about this error. Also, if it was a network problem, it might go away on its own - have you re-tried at a different time of day?

Comment

I updated R and installed the newest version of GEOquery, and I still get the same error message. Anyway, I think I can get away not using the getGEO function to download the files.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses