No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing alignments

Hi all,

I have a question regarding what I though would be a simple thing to do, but cannot find an efficient method to implement it...

I have several individual alignments that were each assembled to the same annotated reference genome (large gaps in each as I targeted genes for sequencing), and I am trying to find a way to compare the various alignments to one another to see whether or not the same gene (or other) regions were recovered in each assembly (i.e. repeatability of my sequencing strategy). I don't care about minor differences (e.g. SNPs) between the individuals, just whether or not they 'hit' the same genomic region. It seems that the information is in the SAM/BAM file I have produced, but I can't seem to find an efficient way to extract and compare each region for all of the individuals.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I do not know if this of great help, but if you are a little bit familiar with python (really just a little bit), the HTSEQ (http://www-huber.embl.de/users/ander.../overview.html) package could be of help. It delivers (in my opinion) very good and convenient methods to parse bam files and extract for instance the regions, where your reads aligned to. You can also very easily create .bed files that can be loaded into a genome browser. On the webpage you find a very good tutorial where the most common applications are explained in ready to use examples.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses