Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat protocol error at cuffdiff

Hi all - I've been trying to work through the TopHat protocol from the March issue of Nature Protocols but ran into an issue at step #5 (Running Cuffdiff). The protocol describes only two labels but lists six merged files. Any ideas of how to run the protocol with only two labels on all six datasets?

The 6 bam files are broken up into two lists of three (each list is comma separated). So the label is for the list of files. The command they list in the paper looks correct. If running it, or something like it, produces different results for you then it'd be helpful for you to provide the command and an example of the output.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, here is the command and output:
      [herndon@usda02 rnaseqexp]$ cuffdiff -o diff_out -b genome.fa -p 8 -L C1,C2 -u merged_asm/merged.gtf ./C1_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam, ./C1_R2_thout/accepted_hits.bam, ./C1_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam, ./C1_R3_thout/accepted_hits.bam, C2_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam, ./C2_R2_thout/accepted_hits.bam, ./C2_R3_thout/accepted_hits.bam
      cuffdiff: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by cuffdiff)
      You are using Cufflinks v1.3.0, which is the most recent release.
      Error: number of labels must match number of conditions

Comment

You have C1_R1_thout twice and spaces after the commas, as well as only one list once you fix all of that.

What you want is probably something like this:
        Code:
        cuffdiff -o diff_out -b genome.fa -p 8 -L C1,C2 -u merged_asm/merged.gtf C1_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam,C1_R2_thout/accepted_hits.bam,C1_R3_thout/accepted_hits.bam C2_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam,C2_R2_thout/accepted_hits.bam,C2_R3_thout/accepted_hits.bam

Comment

Yep - that worked. Aside from the misplaced commas, I was running the program from the directory where the tophout ouptut directories were located.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Cool, glad I could help. Best of luck with the analyses.

Comment

not reading BAM file

I'm using the same Nature Protocol on my samples and am running into a different problem at the cuffdiff step. The program is not reading my accepted_hits.bam files. I've tried converted to .sam and still no luck. .sam file looks ok to my eyes. And .bam file worked for cufflinks step. Any ideas?

$ cuffdiff -o ./results-NCBIref082011_cuffdiff/cuffdiff/ -b /Users/Fontana/Genomes/Drosophila_melanogaster/NCBI/build5.3/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome.fa -p 2 -L Mid,nonMid -u ./results-NCBIref082011_cuffdiff/merged_asm/merged.gtf \ ./results-NCBIref082011_JF001g1/accepted_hits.bam,./results-NCBIref082011_JF003g1/accepted_hits.bam \ ./results-NCBIref082011_JF002g1/accepted_hits.bam
              You are using Cufflinks v2.0.0, which is the most recent release.
              open: No such file or directory
              File ./results-NCBIref082011_JF001g1/accepted_hits.bam doesn't appear to be a valid BAM file, trying SAM...
              Error: cannot open alignment file ./results-NCBIref082011_JF001g1/accepted_hits.bam for reading
              -Note : also tried running with some of my older BAM files that I know are good. Still spitting out same error
              Last edited by jfofly; 06-01-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Perhaps it's because I'm seeing this on my phone, but you appear to have a number of "\ " instances in your command. I imagine that you don't want to escape those spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                  Perhaps it's because I'm seeing this on my phone, but you appear to have a number of "\ " instances in your command. I imagine that you don't want to escape those spaces.
                  Thanks for the reply. Those "\ " characters are written in the protocol before the samples for each condition used. Am I interpreting it wrongly? I'm unfamiliar with what that character would be doing. Should I be leaving it out?

Comment

Yeah, maybe they should have mentioned this detail in the paper since I lot of the readers following it won't be familiar with the command line. The backslashes are used to allow you to split a command over multiple lines. So, you need to hit return/enter after each one. Alternatively, you can leave them out and just put everything on one line. The version with the backslashes increases readability, but will lead to problems like the one you ran into for those unaccustomed. Try either of the following and see if that fixes your problems:

All on one line:
                    Code:
                    cuffdiff -o ./results-NCBIref082011_cuffdiff/cuffdiff/ -b /Users/Fontana/Genomes/Drosophila_melanogaster/NCBI/build5.3/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome.fa -p 2 -L Mid,nonMid -u ./results-NCBIref082011_cuffdiff/merged_asm/merged.gtf ./results-NCBIref082011_JF001g1/accepted_hits.bam,./results-NCBIref082011_JF003g1/accepted_hits.bam ./results-NCBIref082011_JF002g1/accepted_hits.bam
                    Split across lines:
                    Code:
                    cuffdiff -o ./results-NCBIref082011_cuffdiff/cuffdiff/ -b /Users/Fontana/Genomes/Drosophila_melanogaster/NCBI/build5.3/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome.fa -p 2 -L Mid,nonMid -u ./results-NCBIref082011_cuffdiff/merged_asm/merged.gtf \
                    ./results-NCBIref082011_JF001g1/accepted_hits.bam,./results-NCBIref082011_JF003g1/accepted_hits.bam \
                    ./results-NCBIref082011_JF002g1/accepted_hits.bam

Comment

That did it. I appreciate the help!

Comment

why are there '.' in front of '/' in bam files?

Comment

You don't need the "./" at all. If you just used "/file.bam", though, then "file.bam" would need to be in the root directory, which should never occur. "./" just mean "the current working directory".

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMartins
                            You don't need the "./" at all. If you just used "/file.bam", though, then "file.bam" would need to be in the root directory, which should never occur. "./" just mean "the current working directory".
                            This has to be the most inept attempt at a spam bot I've ever seen.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                            0 responses