Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A can of Worms - Which all purpose aligner to replace BWA 0.5.7 for Illumina data?

Hi all,

Currently in our pipeline we are using BWA 0.5.7 in at least a part of all types of illumina data analysis.

By all types of data, I mean everything that comes off the sequencer. Mostly, this is limited to human sequence of any of the following types:
    RNA-seq: strand, or non, mate-pair or paired-end
    miRNA
    DNA: mate-pair, paired-end
    Chip

I have listed mate-pair because we do it sometimes, but 99% all all the data are paired-end 2x150 reads.

Since there are newer version of BWA, we're going to be evaluating them for our purposes, but since we're in the process of testing we are interested in hearing if anyone out there has recommendations for any other workhorse aligner. We can eliminate most aligners by saying they must be at least as fast as BWA to work (I suppose we're limiting to BWT aligners then?). We currently use samtools and picard for most post-alignment analysis.

Has anyone recently upgraded their pipeline aligner from BWA 0.5.7 to something that has caused overall happiness in their organization? There of course are infinite ways to look at evaluating an aligner, so I am interesting in hearing from anyone who has used something newer on a variety of data types.

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses