No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging reads for denovo assembly

Hi there

I have MiSeq data and I wish to perform plant De novo assembly.

I removed the PCR duplicates using FastUniq and now I wish to form a metagenome merging the overlapping reads into longer ones. Afterwards I shall do a denovo assembly using Discovar.

I read this blog here: http://thegenomefactory.blogspot.in/...aired-end.html
    Although it isn't updated I have also read about other tools like BBMerge.

My question is: I read a lot of conflicting opinions on whether this merging of overlapping reads should even be done. Are there any solid benchmarks on which available software is the best for this role?

I want an assembly that preferably does not tolerate false positives.
    Last edited by Niranjanks; 05-17-2016, 10:47 PM.

The case for overlapping depends on the assembler you use. Which assembler to use not only depends on your species (what works well with a bacteria may not work well with a plant) but also on your computation resource (mainly memory) and the type of reads. For example Discovar required a single 250bp paired end library. Any other library will not work.

Since you have already decided to use Discovar then do not do merging. It will not work with merged reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses