SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSeq gDNA reads still fail "Kmer content" and "per base seq content" after trimming" ysnapus Illumina/Solexa 4 11-12-2014 07:25 AM
DEXSeq error in estimateDispersions: match.arg(start.method, c("log(y)", "mean")) fpadilla Bioinformatics 14 07-03-2013 02:11 PM
Relatively large proportion of "LOWDATA", "FAIL" of FPKM_status running cufflink ruben6um Bioinformatics 3 10-12-2011 12:39 AM
The position file formats ".clocs" and "_pos.txt"? Ist there any difference? elgor Illumina/Solexa 0 06-27-2011 07:55 AM
"Systems biology and administration" & "Genome generation: no engineering allowed" seb567 Bioinformatics 0 05-25-2010 12:19 PM

Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #1
David [R]

Default edgeR, "DGELIst" function, "group" parameter

Hi,

I am using edgeR for some RNASeq analysis. My question concerns the DGEList function and its "group" parameter. I realized that, whether doing group=mydesignfactor or group=rep(1,ncol(counts)), the cpm numbers that I get after
counts.TMM <- calcNormFactors(counts.DGEList)
cpm.TMM=cpm(counts.TMM, normalized.lib.sizes=TRUE)
are strictly identical in either case. The only difference between both ways is that the counts.TMM$samples$group column duly reflects what I put in in "group".

Is this normal? What is it that I am missing? Is the "group" nevertheless taken into account on the subsequent estimateGLMCommonDisp, estimateGLMTrendDisp, estimateGLMTagDisp, glmFit, glmLRT etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

David Rengel
David [R] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

There's no reason that cpm should be dependent upon your experimental design (in fact, it shouldn't be). The various GLM function pay attention to the design, since that's where it's important.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
David [R]

Hi dpryan,

THanks for your reply. Yes, that is right. My only only doubt came from de fact that if normalized.lib.sizes=TRUE, then the cpm are calculated using the normalization factors, which I thought were somehow dependent on your experimental design, but it seems I was mistaken.

David
Old 07-23-2015, 04:18 AM   #4
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Correct, normalization factors are independent from experimental design.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 AM   #5
David [R]

Thanks a lot!

Tags
edger, normalization, rnaseq