SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
efficiency of end repair, A-tailing and adaptor ligation ychang Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-19-2014 01:48 PM
End-repair at wrong temp vonlogan Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 08-21-2013 05:16 AM
T4 kinase in end repair protocol klytie Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 07-06-2011 10:45 PM
What is the role of the Klenow DNA Pol in End Repair? odile Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 05-05-2011 05:55 AM
Alkaline Hydrolisis and End Repair davisc General 0 10-10-2008 10:58 AM

Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Ingeneious

Default End Repair + A-Tailing - how do they do it?

Some of the popular library prep kits out there (i.e. NEBNext Ultra and KAPA Hyper) are able to combine end repair and A-tailing into one step. I would like to do the same with minimal cost, but am not sure how they are doing it.

Both NEB and KAPA have the same thermocycler protocol:
  • 20°C for 30 min (Activation?)
  • 65°C for 30 min (Denaturation?)

End-repair can be done with some or a combination of the following enzymes:
  • DNA Polymerase I, Large (Klenow) Fragment (Active at 25°C for 15 min)
  • T4 DNA Polymerase (Active at 15°C for 12 min)
  • T4 Polynucleotide Kinase (Active at 37°C for 30 min)

A-Tailing can be done with some or a combination of the following enzymes:
  • Taq Polymerase (Active at 72°C for 20 min)
  • Klenow Fragment (3'→5' exo-) (Active at 37°C for 30 min)

Anyone know how they do it?
Ingeneious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
nucacidhunter

I think they have Taq polymerase in End repair mix. During incubation at 65C Taq actively adds A to 3' ends, while the other mesophilic enzymes used for end repair and 5' phosphorylation are denatured and deactivated.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
Ingeneious

That is what I am thinking, too, but I have never seen a library prep protocol using it. Everyone seems to be using Klenow 3 - 5 exo for A-tailing and I have seen various combinations of enzymes for end repair.

Could Klenow be working simultaneously with the other enzymes and then they're all denatured?

Last edited by Ingeneious; 06-18-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Ingeneious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
luc

At one point Lucigen claimed to have found a (propietary) enzyme (in hot springs) that is even better at A-tailing than Taq polymerase (in the presence of other nucelotides). This might have been licensed out. But in all likelihood it is simply Taq.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
nucacidhunter

That is less likely. For end repair (filling in 5’ overhang and removing 3’ overhang) two enzymatic activities are required so it is less likely to add 3’ A while another enzyme is removing 3’ overhangs. This can be tested by omitting incubation at 65C and immediately cleaning up end repair reaction followed by adapter ligation. Lack of 3’ A should significantly reduce ligation efficiency.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
rcook34

Hey all,

Sorry to reopen this older thread, but I was curious if anyone had anything else to add? I am very interested in this area, since my experiments using both NEB's and an in-house Klenow exo- enzyme for [email protected] degrees have given mostly negative results in terms of library yield.

Thanks!
rcook34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
ECO
--Site Admin--

IME, Klenow Exo- is unnecessary and only was ever included because the very very first library kits from Solexa had it in there. T4 pol is a monster at end removal and fill in. The blunting phase of the reaction is over in <10 minutes (at least with clean DNA)

The best combination if you really want a one-pot reaction is T4 PNK + T4 Pol + Taq + dNTP. 20C is the ER phase. 65C is the heat-kill + Taq tailing phase. Non-templated addition is better at 65C than at 72C.

You WILL get lower A-tailing efficiency with Taq in the presence of all 4 nucleotides, but it's not that bad and probably worth the time savings.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
zhengz

The original paper combining several steps into one:

http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/38/13/e137.full
zhengz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
donnyKerabatsos

This paper describes how to combine these steps in one reaction using individually-ordered (i.e. cheap) enzymes and buffers: T4 PNK, T4 polymerase and taq, same as @ECO suggests.

Library Preparation and Multiplex Capture for Massive Parallel Sequencing Applications Made Efficient and Easy
Mårten Neiman, Simon Sundling, Henrik Grönberg, Per Hall, Kamila Czene, Johan Lindberg , Daniel Klevebring
PLoS One
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0048616

Last edited by donnyKerabatsos; 05-24-2018 at 11:21 AM.
donnyKerabatsos is offline   Reply With Quote