Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new software for analyzing next-gen genomic data

inGAP (Integrated Next-gen Genome Analysis Platform)

Please refer to the following link for detail.
    http://sites.google.com/site/nextgengenomics/ingap

inGAP is an integrated platform for next-generation sequencing project, the core function of which is to detect SNPs and indels using a Bayesian algorithm.

(1) It does not have any read length restriction. It can handle 454 sequencing and/or Illumina Solexa sequencing and/or Sanger sequencing data sets.

(2) It can detect most small indels in either single-end or paired-end data sets. Using the simulated data sets, inGAP could successfully identify 85%-98% of small indels with high accuracy (>99%).

(3) It has a strong capability to identify variants based on a relatively divergent reference genome, which bring it to a much wider application other than resequencing projects.

(4) It provides a user-friendly graphic interface, through which users can browse, search, check, classify, and even edit the identified variants.

(5) It can be used to detect intraspecific polymorphisms (including SNPs and indels) based on a pairwise comparison of multiple whole genomes.

(6) It employs a global heuristic searching approach to layout contigs based on one or more reference genomes.

(7) It also provides a handful of bioinformatic tools for read simulation, mutation incorporation, format conversion, etc.

(8) It's slower than other SNP detection programs (e.g. MAQ, SOAP, Bowtie), because it employs BLAST or BLAT to map reads. It generally takes about 220 minutes for comparing 10 million 75bp Illumina reads against a 12Mb yeast reference genome on an 8-core DELL machine.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by biofqzhao; 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM.

Does the links work...?

The download link doesnt seem to work ......

Comment

http://schuster-2.bx.psu.edu:8888/MAMP/shared/ should work ...

I am interested in opinions ...

Sven

Comment

Failed to connect....

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at schuster-2.bx.psu.edu:8888.
        ---------------------------

Safari can’t connect to the server.
        Safari can’t open the page “http://schuster-2.bx.psu.edu:8888/MAMP/shared/” because Safari can’t connect to the server “schuster-2.bx.psu.edu”.

----------------------------

Comment

hmm, this link works fine with linux, unix, windows, FF, Chrome, IE, home, work ...
          It seems this is a problem with your mac(?) .. Firewall?

cheers,
          Sven

Comment

links not working

Sven, the links are not accessible from my end either. I am curious to try, hope the issue gets resolved.

MQ

Comment

Works with my WIFI....

Hi Sven and MQ-BCBB

It works now... but with my WiFi... connection, Not with my Ethernet connection.
              Not able to fix it even after fixing IPv6 to 4 and other stuff as I learned googling for this error...

For now I will settle with my WiFi...

Thanks,
              TEB
              Last edited by tebuffer; 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

We have a new version of inGAP (v1.9.4) now, and linux32 is also supported. Please check http://sites.google.com/site/nextgengenomics/ingap for detail.
                Last edited by biofqzhao; 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Great Tool

Hi Sven,

inGAP is a great NICE tool.
                  The interface is very impressive and intuitive.
                  inGAP gave the best first impression.
                  Thanks for sharing.

TEB.

Comment

I was able to download and map 454 reads

Thank you making this tool available. It took much longer than expected; I will then explore results.

MQ

Comment

Sven, thank you so much for your kind help, thanks MQ and TEB for using and testing inGAP, I am looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
                      Ji

Comment

Dear biofqzhao, Ji,

I have used inGAP to map a few 454XLR reads on a known
                        bacterial genome, size~3.8Mb.

I have a few questions about the program:

Export consensus
                        How is the consensus calculated? If I align my dataset against
                        a known reference I usually want my reads to build the consensus
                        if there is some evidence that the data and the alignment is
                        correct. So when I export the consensus. it should be my aligned
                        read data. That's what I assume, is that correct?
                        What does a '.' (dot) really mean in the exported consensus?
                        Sometimes i find a dot where there is one-base-coverage,
                        sometimes there is no dot in such regions ...

Wouldn't it be a good idea to also show the consensus above
                        the alignment? Maybe in an editable manner?

Genes
                        I'd like inGAP to use a provided PTT file downloaded just
                        from NCBI for my genome of interest.
                        When opening my project, I get an error,

UNEXISTS: [..]CONTIG_1/genes.table

This is probably not the file I supplied as PTT file..
                        So what is the "genes" file for and how do I get/create it
                        and what is the PTT file for when I import the read data
                        and reference sequence at the very beginning? It doesn't
                        get displayed ...

Is there any chance to import (via file) and display some
                        other data, e.g. known SNPs?

Sorry for the somewhat dumb questions but I couldn't find
                        some more details on the website.

Nice software, I like this program, as it is possible to
                        use standard tools like 'blast' or 'blat'.

Thanks,
                        Sven

Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Originally posted by sklages View Post
                          Dear biofqzhao, Ji,

Export consensus
                          Zhao's reply:
                          Ji will reply you on this issue.

Zhao's reply:
                          That's a good idea. We will display the consensus sequence in the alignment window in the next update.

Genes

get displayed ...
                          Zhao's reply: inGAP can convert the GenBank file to a PTT format. You can find it in the "Tools" panel.

Zhao's reply: Yes. You can load other data (e.g. SNPs identified by MAQ) into inGAP, but the data requires a specific format. We will provide a detailed manual soon.

Zhao's reply: We will provide a detailed manual soon.

Zhao's reply: Thank you. Although tools like 'blast' or 'blat' are much slower than those newly described algorithms, these classic tools indeed perform very well in mapping short reads.
                          Thanks,
                          Sven
                          Last edited by biofqzhao; 06-13-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all these kind suggestions.

Originally posted by sklages View Post
                            Dear biofqzhao, Ji,

Export consensus

The consensus is just the majority type of covered
                            nucleotides. The dots are deletions in consensus and are kept in the
                            last version just for helping one of my labmate to checking possible
                            frame-shifts. I have modified inGAP not to output dots anymore and
                            will update you when a new version is available.

It is really a good idea to display consensus in the alignment panel.
                            I will add this new feature ASAP.

Genes

get displayed ...

Both GFF and PTT formats were acceptable in
                            the old version. inGAP will load the original gene file in the “data import”
                            step and distribute gene information to different contigs (the file
                            “genes.table” in each PROJECT\CONTIG_* folder).
                            It is wired to get an error info like “UNEXISTS: [..]CONTIG_1/genes.table”
                            if GFF or PTT file are imported in the “data import” step. Would you
                            please send me your PTT file so I can check in my computer?

For importing extra SNP files, alignment files (blast format,
                            etc.), please open the project and show the viewer first, then select
                            “navigation” panel -> “data” button, then you will get a small dialog which
                            shows the current data entries (or rows), in this panel, you can add,
                            remove, update existing entries, or change the order of them. When new
                            entry is loaded, say, a new SNP table, you can compare the new SNP
                            entry with the old one by clicking right mouse button on the reads panel
                            then select “entry coverage” popup item (below the “export consensus”
                            item).

The formats of new entries could be
                            One column format (just one column, each line gives a position)

Three column format (start, end, strand). “+” for plus strand and “-” for
                            minus
                            1 100 +
                            200 240 –

And also blastn tablar, PTT, GFF, mummer SNP, MAQ pileup, etc. A detailed
                            manual is definitely needed, I will do it after finish a few jobs from my boss.

Thanks,
                            Sven

Comment

any others who tried out the tool? feedback?
                              I was impressed by the claims and was wondering to check it out on a dataset that ran on MAQ previously..

Why limit to blat/blast! Those are too slow for so many reads.. and any heads-up on parallel version? I am waiting for the run to complete, to be able to compare to my MAQ results.
                              Last edited by bioinfosm; 07-01-2009, 12:37 PM. Reason: more comments
                              --
                              bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses