This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Summary: Animated video explaining Helicos tSMS Next-gen Technology

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I came across a video made by Helicos posted to Youtube. The video does a decent job of explaining next-gen sequencing, with relatively decent animation, and can be used in a pinch to explain some of the concepts to an audience that isn't familiar with the next-gen concepts.

(Update: it was made private on Youtube, but you can still see it on the Helicos web page here. The flv file is located here.)

Too bad Illumina doesn't have an equivalent video.
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Hey Anthony, I moved this to its own thread so it would get more views. Hope that's ok!

Comment

Of course! It is your board, after all! (-;

Anyhow, I'd reiterate that I don't know how useful the video is, as it has the feel of a marketing video (which it probably is), but it's a great introduction.

I was planning on using it tomorrow (without audio) to provide a visual aid while introducing some high school kids to the general idea of next-gen sequencing. (Maybe we should have a contest on who can provide the best narration track for it, but I digress..)

Comment

You've seen this from Illumina, right?

Comment

Thanks, I had seen that. I think Helicos' video is able to inspire students with their graphics, giving a sense of scale and work flow at a high level, rather than the technical details shown in the Illumina animation.

I should be clearer, though: I wish Illumina had a "cool looking" animation that really gets their message across to non-scientists.

Thanks for sharing the link, though - we should collect other next-gen sequencing videos in this thread, as a reference!

Comment

If you want to see another NGS videos, I have found any. Maybe you know them, but I hope, it will be usefull for you. I don`t know, if the links shouldn`t be in different threats... This is my first post, so please, be tolerant. :-)

SOLiD system demo

Presentation about 2 Base enocoding (SOLiD system)

There are lot of videos from Applied Biosystems- You have to register

Explanation of workflow 454 GS FLX

Comment

Hey thanks, anuskap. I won't have a chance to check them out today. (To much coding to do...) But I'll definitely have a look over the weekend.

Welcome to SeqAnswers!

Comment

Nice animation links, yall. Thanks!

Comment

Hey guys,

i just found this thread after doing a video search and these videos and links have done exactly what you hoped they would. For a young student still getting a grip on the whole system this is incredible. The Helicos video blows my mind, and hopefully this thread bump gives it an opportunity to blow a few more. Learning the scientific methods really gives me a much better idea of what goes in to developing products such as a rapid prototype involving casting or molding.
                  Last edited by jiltysequence; 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                    by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                    02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                  0 responses