SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Galaxy tool to filter low mapping quality reads? kwoweiho Bioinformatics 3 08-08-2013 06:56 AM
RNA-Seq: Low mapping percentage of pair-end reads (length 75bp) wilson90 Bioinformatics 6 03-21-2013 09:31 AM
Samtools flagstat - low % reads mapping nr23 Bioinformatics 5 11-01-2012 09:04 AM
Metagenomic assembly (filter low complexity reads) rsinha Bioinformatics 0 10-24-2012 01:24 PM
get wrong when I do de novo assembly by trinity for two 22.6G reads file taoxiang180 Bioinformatics 4 08-20-2012 10:52 PM

Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
horvathdp

Default Low mapping of reads to trinity assembly

Hi all,

I am using iPlant resources, and I just finished doing an assembly of my RNAseq data using trinity (great results- ~200K contigs with N50 of ~1500, and mean of ~900- CEGMA giving 241 of the 248 conserved sequences as complete). With this in hand I used tophat2 to map my fragments as the first step to ID deferentially expressed transcripts. However, I am only getting about 38% of my fragments mapping to the Trinity contigs for any given sample. Is this expected? Is there a better way to do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
horvathdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
flyingoyster

I had similar problem, but even lower mapping rate (about 2%). What could be the problem? If you figure it out, please let know. Thanks!
flyingoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
horvathdp

Default More thoughts

I think one of my problems is that at least 25% of the reads are too short to allow mapping of the paired ends. I am running TopHat2-SE to see if that significantly improves the percentage of mapped reads. I also assume that I lost any reads that didn't form contigs of at least 200 bases. I am not sure how to figure out what percentage that is. Any ideas from the experts out there?

Finally, one more question for the experts: I plan on using the tuxedo suite to analyze my data- Mapping my trimmed sequences to the trintity contigs with tophat, usng Cuffmerge and Cuffdiff to ID differentially expressed genes. Is this a reasonable approach? Are there better approaches for mapping back to a denovo assembled transcriptome? Are there any problems I will likely encounter? Any advice will be appreciated.
horvathdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
ddb

What is the length of your reads and expected insert size / fragment length? The tuxedo suite is used when you have a genome sequence as reference. I do not think it is the right tool for denovo assembled contigs. For analyzing contigs I would look at Bowtie/Bowtie2 for mapping - RSEM/eXpress for abundance estimation and then one of the bioconductor tools for differential expression testing. I am sure others can suggest different tools. You could try following the Trinity protocol for downstream analysis.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote