SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNV in targeted exons m_elena_bioinfo Bioinformatics 0 12-21-2011 01:59 AM
PubMed: Differential genome-wide profiling of tandem 3' UTRs among human breast cance Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-07-2011 03:00 AM
over representation of reads mappign to UTRs crh Bioinformatics 6 08-11-2011 07:38 AM
RNA-Seq: The Landscape of C. elegans 3'UTRs. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 06-05-2010 03:00 AM
Differentially expressed exons? jiwu2573 Bioinformatics 7 02-28-2010 09:51 PM

Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
kala934

Default Are UTRs parts of exons ?

I must first apologize for resorting to this forum for a seamingly trivial biology question, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer and I believe this is relevant to all.

Are UTRs considered parts of exons?

I am amazed as to how divided opinions are, including in literature. Here I am looking more for a generally accepted definition, so I don't have to define exons every time I speak to someone.

I am not looking for an answer that just sounds reasonable, but one based on accepted convention.

Thanks
kala934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
lmf_bill

yes, UTR, especial 3UTR has different feature from other exons. I think it depends on your focus.
lmf_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
steven

Of course, UTRs ARE parts of exons. Usually of the first and the terminal exons for the 5' and 3' UTRs respectively, but not only. And i am referring to exons as the biological objects, defined as the parts of the primary transcript molecule that are not spliced out (introns).
Now it is frequent in some fields (for instance, in gene finding) to consider that exon=conding regions, but this is wrong.
Download an annotation file from the UCSC table browsers and look carefully at the positions of the "exon" and "CDS" features for instance, you will see.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote