Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help installing QUAST(quality assessment tool for genome assemblies)

Hello all,

I'm having some problems with installing QUAST and I'm hoping someone out there can help. So here's the deal:

I am trying to install QUAST on my Mac (OS 10.7.5). I have xcode and all the required additions except for matplotlib. While trying to install matplotlib I run into issues because I have multiple versions of Python, the default is Python 2.7 but I also have Python 3.3. My python 2.7 does not have setuptools, which means it does not have easy_install, so my attempt at installing matplotlib (and the required numpy and nose) fails immediately. I still have not had any luck installing either setuptools or distribute for python 2.7, so that is problem #1.

Problem #2, after all this failure with Python 2.7 I decide to try and install all of the required packages in Python 3.3 (which does have setuptools and easy_install). I manage to do this successfully and think very highly of myself until I look back at the QUAST page and realize it requires Python 2. So my other question/problem is, is there a version of QUAST that will run in Python 3? I know that the syntax for Python 2.7 and Python 3 is very different, but was there ever an upgrade for QUAST that can use Python 3?

Apologies if these questions are overly simplistic, I'm still very much a beginner with programming/computing techniques.

Thanks,

~Ana

Since you are stuck at the moment here are some options to try. Hopefully one of these will work.

1. http://penandpants.com/2012/02/24/install-python/

2. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...ipy-matplotlib

3. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...n-mac-osx-lion

Comment

simple question for you linux users...i was running an old version of quast that was functional but warned that i needed to update the version of matplotlib i was using.

updated quast and matplotlib successfully...after installing libpng-devel

now i get this warning: WARNING: Can't draw plots: please install python-matplotlib.

i updated matplotlib from root...what is the correct location for install. does this error mean that matplotlib is not found in the python site packages.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lac302 View Post
        simple question for you linux users...i was running an old version of quast that was functional but warned that i needed to update the version of matplotlib i was using.

updated quast and matplotlib successfully...after installing libpng-devel

now i get this warning: WARNING: Can't draw plots: please install python-matplotlib.

i updated matplotlib from root...what is the correct location for install. does this error mean that matplotlib is not found in the python site packages.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.
        This is a guess but at times there may be multiple versions of python on system. Depending on which is default you may need to update/install matplotlib in that version. Take a look at the suggested install options here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...tlib-in-python
        Last edited by GenoMax; 05-28-2016, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses