No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowtie adjust alignment options

Hi everyone,

I am also new. I have started to work as a PostDoc in a mutant resequencing project and i am using bowtie for mapping paired end reads against a reference assembly. I would be grateful if someone knows how exactly can i refine aligment options in bowtie in aspects of lenght of match (40%) and similarity levels (70%) for each read in order to relax mapping stringency. I am trying to figure out this and i think is probably something with -n/--seedmms and -e/--maqerr but i am not quite sure.
    Any help would be so helpful.
    Antonio

I am not very familiar with Bowtie2, but in Bowtie1 the parameters to change would be -n or -v, and -l.

Comment

In bowtie2, the parameters you might want to look at are:
      • -N number of seed mismatches, default is 0, but this can also be 1, though that will significantly slow things down
      • -L seed length, make it shorter if you want to increase sensitivity (see also the presets)
      • --score-min This effectively sets the minimum alignment score to declare an alignment valid. It's length dependent and the defaults change according to whether you use local or end-to-end alignment. In general, if you relax the --score-min function, you'll get more alignments with greater mismatches. Keep in mind that bowtie2's MAPQ calculation function depends heavily on this (the lower the minimum score is, the higher the MAPQ will be for a given read with a given number of mismatches).
      • -D Number of failing seed extensions, see also the presets
      • -R Number of repeat seeds, see also the presets

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        Yesterday, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses