Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioperl error in bacterial annotation

Hi, I installed PROKKA pipeline for annotation of a bacterial genome. One of its dependencies is BioPerl, I installed this according to http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_BioPerl_on_Unix, the "preparating to install" and "installing using Built.PL" sections, never show me error, but when I run this pipeline, it show me:

Code:
    [11:12:56] This is prokka 1.8
    [11:12:56] Written by Torsten Seemann <[email protected]>
    [11:12:56] Victorian Bioinformatics Consortium - http://www.vicbioinformatics.com
    [11:12:56] Local time is Fri Apr 25 11:12:56 2014
    [11:12:56] You are dnl
    [11:12:56] Operating system is linux
    [11:12:56] You have BioPerl 1.006001
    [11:12:56] Please install BioPerl 1.006002 or higher
    This is the file "prokka", the bioperl section:

Code:
    # check BioPerl version 
    my $minbpver = "1.006002"; # for Bio::SearcIO::hmmer3
    my $bpver = $Bio::Root::Version::VERSION;
    msg("You have BioPerl $bpver");
    err("Please install BioPerl $minbpver or higher") if $bpver < $minbpver;
    I think that not exist 1.006002 only 1.006.001,

I try to install again bioperl but it show the same. My laptop is Ubuntu 14.04, 64 bit. I installed prokka on a desktop computer (Ubuntu 12.04, 64 bits) and work very well!!!. I don't know, please help.

Thanks.

It looks like there was no problem with the installation, but rather there is a problem with the version you installed. How are you installing BioPerl, through CPAN or a downloaded package? The problem is that you have a very old version of BioPerl and the solution would be to update it. My recommendation would be to install the latest version (this is the default for CPAN) and try again.

Comment

have a similar issue

I have also been trying to install prokka, and in my BioPerl installation it fails. Prokka requires some modules that are not in the standard perl libraries. I installed the "XML/Simple.pm" module, but it then asked for the module "Bio/Root/Version.pm"

Command is "sudo cpan install Bio/Root/Version.pm"

resulting in:
      Code:
      Test Summary Report
      -------------------
      t/Map/Physical.t                     (Wstat: 0 Tests: 40 Failed: 0)
        TODO passed:   40
      t/Seq/Seq.t                          (Wstat: 65280 Tests: 33 Failed: 0)
        Non-zero exit status: 255
        Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 73 tests but ran 33.
      t/SeqTools/SeqUtils.t                (Wstat: 65280 Tests: 43 Failed: 0)
        Non-zero exit status: 255
        Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 133 tests but ran 43.
      t/Tools/Analysis/Protein/ELM.t       (Wstat: 256 Tests: 15 Failed: 1)
        Failed test:  14
        Non-zero exit status: 1
      t/Tools/Run/RemoteBlast.t            (Wstat: 512 Tests: 17 Failed: 2)
        Failed tests:  7, 17
        Non-zero exit status: 2
        Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 21 tests but ran 17.
      t/Tools/Run/RemoteBlast_rpsblast.t   (Wstat: 256 Tests: 7 Failed: 1)
        Failed test:  5
        Non-zero exit status: 1
      Files=337, Tests=19150, 512 wallclock secs ( 2.18 usr  0.41 sys + 72.77 cusr  4.42 csys = 79.78 CPU)
      Result: FAIL
      Failed 5/337 test programs. 4/19150 subtests failed.
        CJFIELDS/BioPerl-1.6.923.tar.gz
        ./Build test -- NOT OK
      //hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module, try:
        reports CJFIELDS/BioPerl-1.6.923.tar.gz
      Running Build install
        make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
      I'm not sure I can manually install all of the modules this package seems to require. Has anyone successfully installed prokka, and what kind of system/libraries do you have?

Mark

Comment

Some of the BioPerl tests will fail, I wouldn't worry about that unless you get errors trying to load a class (that would indicate the installation was not successful). Try out prokka now and see what happens.

Comment

Thank you, but it returns the same error as before I tried to install the module:

Code:
          Can't locate Bio/Root/Version.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /home/foeckingmf/Desktop/prokka-1.9/bin/prokka line 29.
          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/foeckingmf/Desktop/prokka-1.9/bin/prokka line 29.
          Mark

Comment

That indicates that BioPerl wasn't installed, which is clear from the test report (sorry for the quick reply or I would have seen that). Just try to install again with "force install" and it should work. I know if feels like a dirty hack, but this is the solution until the tests are fixed in the BioPerl source.

Comment

As in CPAN, the latest version of BioPerl is BioPerl-1.6.901. Install with cpan, don't use the source with ubuntu distribution.

just type: sudo cpan -i BioPerl

Comment

Originally posted by gaoch View Post
                As in CPAN, the latest version of BioPerl is BioPerl-1.6.901. Install with cpan, don't use the source with ubuntu distribution.

just type: sudo cpan -i BioPerl
                The latest version on CPAN is 1.6.923. See here: https://metacpan.org/pod/BioPerl

Also, that command won't fix the install as you can see above in the thread because some of the tests will fail.

Comment

A quick check in Ubuntu, suggests that you would be fine with the standard Debian packages, unless you are running an old version of Ubuntu (from http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/bioperl):
                  • Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: bioperl 1.6.1-1ubuntu1
                  • Ubuntu 12.04 LTS: bioperl 1.6.901-2
                  • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS: bioperl 1.6.923-1

So you could just use:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install bioperl
                  Which would pull in all the required dependencies, including Perl modules and binary libraries, required for BioPerl.

NB. In my experience attempting to mix and match with OS package management and CPAN based Perl installation methods can cause version problems, and is best avoided if possible. So in general it is best to pick one method and stick with it, rather than trying to use both.

Comment

Thanks to everyone's replies - I did get it up and running although I'm not quite sure how. One of the big issues was permissions. I used the instructions from here:

and manually ran the make and make install commands using sudo when needed.

Mark

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses