No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low K-mer coverage from a SPAdes assembly

Hi everyone!

I kind of asked the question on my presentation thread, but I think this is a better place to make sure I reach people who know about my issue.

So my lab ordered sequencing for a lot of bacterial strains in order for me to do gene-by-gene approach genomics on them. The sequencing was made with NextSeq500 (Illumina), and the assembly with SPAdes. I obtain an alignment in a multi-fasta format.

Most of my assemblies look fine in terms of number of contigs (<100 contigs) once I filter out the smallest ones (<1000bp), and have a correct total size of the genome. However, for some of them the number of contigs remain really high, and when I check the length of the complete genome, I obain 3 genomes of more than 2.4Mb when I expect 1.65Mb approximately. I checked the 30 largest contigs for one of these outsider strain by doing a nblast against the NCBI database. I noticed that some of the contigs don't match the species of interest. These contigs have a low K-mer coverage (indicated in the name of the contig): around 1, against more than 200 for contigs matching the species of interest.

The cut-off between high coverage and low coverage is extremelly clear in all the samples I checked, so I was thinking simply filter out everything that is less than 1000bp and less than 50 in coverage. Do you think that is relevant ? If yes, can anyone explain to me what is in those contigs with a small coverage? What I'm getting rid of exactly? Is that contamination?

Many thanks for your help !

This looks like contamination.

You are expecting a 1.65 Mb genome.

The sum of contig length is 2.4 Mb.

When you searched the low-coverage contigs against the NCBI database, did they have any hits or no hits ?

If they did have good hits, you could align all your contigs against that hit to make a list of everything that align to that hit.

Comment

Hi Seb,

I see your point, but not all my low coverage contigs have a hit. The ones that do don't have the exact same hit, and the hits are not very good (the largest contig matching another species matches with an identity of 90%, but on only 63% cover, the next contig has identity of 78% on only 21%)

On the 30 largest contigs which I tested, 10 were matching another species (but these were not very good matches, and not always the same species), and 9 were not matching anything. All these 19 contigs had low coverage (around 1). Contigs with high coverage (>200) were matching my species of interest with good hits.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses