Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help to do genome assembly

I prepare genomic shotgun libraries for sequencing using Single Molecule Real Time (SMRT) sequencing platform produced by PacBio (20X coverage of PacBio reads) coupled with sequencing on Illumina platform (30X coverage of Illumina Miseq 250bp reads).The obtained data will be used to perform a de novo hybrid assembly by combining both Illumina and PacBio reads to generate accurate draft assemblies of plant genome (with estimated size of 350 Mbp).

1- What types of assembler I should use?

2-A computer equipped with 320 RAM, 3TB hard disc and 2 x Xeon 2680v2 is it sufficient to analyze the results of sequencing and to make a hybrid assembly?

Hi, I think that the computer you have is sufficient. I suggest you to do firstly de novo assembly of your Illumina reads and then links obtained sequences using PacBio reads. For Illumina reads I can recommend you ABySS, Velvet and SOAPdenovo assemblers. However, it is also valuable to check, if in your genome long tandem repeats are present. To do that, I recommend dnaasm de novo assembler (I'm an author of this application). It has also a module to linkage contigs by your long reads - for the second step of your analysis. If you have any questions fell free to contact me

How many Illumina reads do you have?

Comment

Try assembling raw PacBio reads with Canu, then polish the assembly using the Illumina reads with Pilon.

Comment

I think that 20x PacBio won't be enough for Canu de novo assembler, but you can try of course

Comment

Thanks wkusmire and jgibbons1 for your reply
          I have not yet started sequencing but I'm getting ready to do it.
          Is it possible to recommend me a company to do it?

Comment

I don't know any sequencing company, I only analyze NGS data

Comment

Originally posted by wanadou View Post
              Thanks wkusmire and jgibbons1 for your reply
              I have not yet started sequencing but I'm getting ready to do it.
              Is it possible to recommend me a company to do it?
              We use the University of Oregon sequencing facility, which has a PacBio Sequel, MiSeq and Hiseq4000. https://gc3f.uoregon.edu/
              Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
              • seqadmin
                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
              0 responses