Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had guessed that January's drop was connected to Illumina's announcement in the same month, so was surprised that it reversed in April.

Comment

Originally posted by xyzzy123 View Post
      I had guessed that January's drop was connected to Illumina's announcement in the same month, so was surprised that it reversed in April.
      My guess (and it's really just a guess) is that they are ignoring the X Ten in figuring the prices. Illumina has been raising prices on their sequencing kits every April 1st, so that little bump makes sense. However, I'm not sure that they're taking into account the release of the v4 chemistry for the HiSeq 2500. That reduced the list price for 1Gb of sequence from $43 down to $29. (For comparison, it's just $7/Gb for the HiSeq X.)
      AllSeq - The Sequencing Marketplace
      [email protected]
      www.AllSeq.com

Comment

https://www.genome.gov/sequencingcosts/ is no longer being updated. It looks like they hit the end of the graph and don't want to extend it. In any case, since the price is now dropping much more _slowly_ than Moore's Law, in another 10 years or so at this rate Moore's Law will catch up and the graph would look kind of silly.

Comment

NOW there's finally a sizable drop.

Estimated cost of sequencing the human genome over time since the Human Genome Project.

The last two entries in the .xlsx file show a cost per genome of $4,211 on Apr. 15 and $1,363 on Jul. 15. I guess they decided to take the X Ten into account.

Comment

Due to all the artificial limitations on the X10, I don't consider it an accurate reflection of real sequencing costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
              Due to all the artificial limitations on the X10, I don't consider it an accurate reflection of real sequencing costs.
              Indeed. Those costs are misleading. There should be all sorts of asterisks detailing the assumptions. Might as well throw in the higher per-base cost of using PacBio to complete a genome.

I've always hated that graph because of the misapplication of "Moore's Law". Stupid. But I have seen it in so many presentations that I just grit my teeth.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses