No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq run failure - inhibition?

Hi all,

I recently did a MiSeq run that failed before it had really begun. I am doing 16S custom sequencing with the barcodes.

Everything was properly calculated, diluted and Qubited, so I am sure the right concentrations were loaded (went for 8pM) and 10% Phi X.

The only thing we can think it might have been is that some chlorine or other inhibitors may have got through and ruined the run.... Does anyone have any ideas about this or any experience with inhibitory samples?

thanks

What do you mean by failed? No clusters formed, low intensity data, fluidics check failed??
    Last edited by barrmur; 07-16-2013, 06:10 AM.

Comment

The error message

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object”

came up and that was it, so didnt even get as far as cluster densities.

Illumina thought it was the concentration of my library but It was definately at 2nM to start with then denatured and diluted correctly as per their protocol

Comment

When we had that error come up, it was because we had a pinched line. Try doing a fluidics check to see if there is a blockage.

Comment

Thanks. Other people are doing successful runs, so I think it is a sample issue sadly!

Comment

Originally posted by firefly2280 View Post
            The error message

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object”

came up and that was it, so didnt even get as far as cluster densities.

Illumina thought it was the concentration of my library but It was definately at 2nM to start with then denatured and diluted correctly as per their protocol
            Unfortunately, that error message comes up for a large number of reasons on the MiSeq, and it's the most uninformative error ever because you can never figure out what actually caused a problem.

We've had that specific message show up for a number of run failures, and only two or three could be traced back to the same cause. In that case, our optical table wasn't fully secured, so over the course of a run the images became progressively more out of focus until the system just gave up and quit. Other reasons for that error have been traced to bad reagents, bad libraries, and a few other random problems.

Since you said people are successfully using the MiSeq now, best thing to do is get Illumina to replace your kits and try the samples again.

Comment

thanks for the input. Sadly Illumina are not going to replace the kits and I cant afford to trial and error things, so I dont really know what to do now. The only thing any of us can think of for failure of my library is some kind of inhibition...

Comment

I'm surprised that Illumina are not going to replace the kit considering you had 10% PhiX in with your sample. The PhiX should have clustered even if your library didn't, I would argue that indicates a reagent or flow cell problem.

Comment

I agree, Illumina should be replacing those reagents. Every time we've had tat object reference error Illumina has replaced the kits. I would pretty much demand that they send replacements unless they can prove that this was your fault, which given the nature of the error they most likely can't.

Comment

How do you think inhibitors could have gotten into your run? From your original sample DNA? I would think that over the library creation process, you would have done enough clean up steps to get rid of anything!

Comment

Unfortunately, we have encountered some similar situations recently where there seems to be inhibitory factors in our samples. We always get terrific results from pure samples isolated with DNeasy, but for environmental samples isolated with MOBio kits, we usually have to perform a follow-up MinElute clean-up. Since the MinElute produces losses and cuts out high MW DNA we are currently evaluating other alternatives. The insight we've gained is that removal of PCR inhibitors does not mean you won't have inhibition of Nextera tagmentation.

Comment

Did you put the custom primers into the appropriate wells with the Illumina primers and make sure you didn't indicate in your worksheet that you used custom primers?

Comment

Originally posted by microgirl123 View Post
                          How do you think inhibitors could have gotten into your run? From your original sample DNA? I would think that over the library creation process, you would have done enough clean up steps to get rid of anything!
                          Thats what I think too but maybe its something that associates with the DNA and co-purifies?

Comment

Originally posted by rwinegar View Post
                            Unfortunately, we have encountered some similar situations recently where there seems to be inhibitory factors in our samples. We always get terrific results from pure samples isolated with DNeasy, but for environmental samples isolated with MOBio kits, we usually have to perform a follow-up MinElute clean-up. Since the MinElute produces losses and cuts out high MW DNA we are currently evaluating other alternatives. The insight we've gained is that removal of PCR inhibitors does not mean you won't have inhibition of Nextera tagmentation.
                            Thanks for this. Im not using Nextera but I suppose its 'good' to know that this is what might be causing a problem!

Comment

I ran some samples on a collegues run which worked but my samples only produced 4, 10 and 43 reads...!! so something is for sure going on!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses