Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector Removal Software

I am trying to perform de novo assembly on 454 data using Newbler v2.5.

As a first stage, I need to remove the vector sequence. I have the vector sequence.

1. Using newbler, I have included the vector file both as a trimming database and as a screening database. Nonetheless, vector sequence is found in the assembly.

2. I have tried using Lucy. It does remove some of the vector sequences, but then using BLAST I still find quite a bit that was not removed.

2. I tried using SeqClean -which actually manages to remove all the vector but does not provide a quality file. I could write some program that would produce a modified .qual file, but I was wondering if such a tool already exists.

What are others experience in vector removal?

Much Thanks,
    Tirza Doniger
    --
    Tirza Doniger, Ph.D.
    Bioinformatics Unit
    The Mina and Everard Faculty of Life Sciences
    Bar Ilan University

In case you've got a fasta and a qual file you could merge them to a fastq file and then clip the vector sequences with the FastX package using FastX clipper:

That worked quite well for me for removing Tranposon DNA elements from Library prep.

Comment

Originally posted by tdoniger View Post
      2. I tried using SeqClean -which actually manages to remove all the vector but does not provide a quality file. I could write some program that would produce a modified .qual file, but I was wondering if such a tool already exists.
      Much Thanks,
      Tirza Doniger
      Tirza,

SeqClean includes a utility to create a new qual file which corresponds to your cleaned reads. The program is called 'cln2qual' and it is in the main seqclean directory. It takes as input the cleaning report generated by SeqClean (the .cln file) and your original .qual file. It outputs a new .qual file with appropriately trimmed (or excluded) qual scores.
      Last edited by kmcarr; 02-08-2011, 08:13 AM. Reason: Removed comments about read ordering in new qual file; mistaken about this.

Comment

Wow! Thank you! Just what I was looking for! The 'cln2qual' tool works great. I didn't notice it in the SeqClean directory. Newbler accepts the input without any problems.

Thanks again,
        Tirza
        --
        Tirza Doniger, Ph.D.
        Bioinformatics Unit
        The Mina and Everard Faculty of Life Sciences
        Bar Ilan University

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses