No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cancer panel on miseq

hi there
    I am clnical oncologist looking for a way to improve diagnostics department in my cancer center and I was wondering
    what is more cost effective for doing cancer research only ? miseq or hiseq?
    is illumina providing end to end expierence or is there any additional software needed ?
    last but not least ? what kind of personel would be inexpensable to run hiseq/miseq platform ?

thanks in advance

I'm not sure that there is an end to end solution for the HiSeq. The TruSeq Amplicon Cancer Panel seems to be designed to run on the MiSeq, with some on machine data analysis.

As someone who analyses cancer panel data from HiSeq and MiSeq (we have designed our own panels for running) the MiSeq per-base costs are higher, but to make the HiSeq cost effective you have to make sure it is running at capacity (or that you are sharing a machine that is operating close to capacity).

Additional software could be anything from aligners, to variant callers to automated annotation. Clinical interpretation of the results are something else entirely.

I work for a company that would allow you to outsource such a service, obviously this means you don't then have the equipment/setup/staff costs associated with the service. We have HiSeq/MiSeq and experience in cancer profiling on a number of capture technologies. Message me if you're interested in knowing more.

Comment

Qiagen new product

Qiagen just released a product that is 124 genes with subsets available-specifically cancer panels-that generate PCR products that can then be made into libraries for MiSeq or HiSeq.

I have not used it myself as it just released last week.

You would need someone and/or robot to construct libraries.
      Then a Technician to run the MiSeq or HiSeq. The MiSeq is very user friendly while the HiSeq takes some cajoling to work right. Also, you need 7 (or 8 if you don't run a control lane) samples to run a HiSeq flow cell. Probably your best bet would be a HiSeq 2500 which runs a "single" lane flow cell. It is actually 2 lanes but there are ways around that. They run with the speed of a MiSeq but the density of a HiSeq lane.
      Then you would need an informatics person to determine what all the data means.

Comment

hey bukowski if you're still interested in helping me please enable msg link so i can email you or msg me yourself

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses