No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to run Tophat2

Hi,

I am unable to run Tophat2 as I get an error.

Here is the command I run: tophat2 -p 5 -r 62 –library-type fr-firststrand -G /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Annotation/Genes/gene.gtf –o /home/jmotwani/RNASeq/Alignment_Tophat2 --BOWTIE2_INDEXES /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/ C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1_Trimmed.fastq C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2_Trimmed.fastq

I get the following error:

[2016-05-22 22:20:05] Beginning TopHat run (v2.1.1)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [2016-05-22 22:20:05] Checking for Bowtie
    Bowtie version: 2.2.9.0
    [2016-05-22 22:20:05] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
    Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (–library-type.*.bt2l)

The indexed genome was downloaded from Illumina iGenomes page. Do I have to build it after downloading it? I downloaded the genome, gtf file, and indexed files and gave the path of those files in the command above.

Could anyone please comment or advise on this.

Thanks for your time.

Regards, J

You need to provide a basename for the index files (which in this case should be genome). So the genome index file path becomes

Code:
    /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome
    You don't need to include --BOWTIE2_INDEXES. That is a shell variable you could set beforehand.

Comment

Thanks Genomax.

I removed the BOWTIE2_INDEXES option and gave the path as suggested above but I still get the same error.

I am wondering if its due to Bowtie2 index version incompatibility. Any comments?

Comment

Can you show us a listing of

Code:
        $ ls -lh /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/

Comment

The Bowtie2Index folder has following files:

genome.1.bt2
          genome.2.bt2
          genome.3.bt2
          genome.4.bt2
          genome.fa
          genome.rev.1.bt2
          genome.rev.2.bt2
          tophat_out

Comment

Can you try the following? Looks like you had a single - in your library-type option before.

Code:
            tophat2 -p 5 -r 62 --library-type fr-firststrand -G /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Annotation/Genes/gene.gtf –o /home/jmotwani/RNASeq/Alignment_Tophat2 /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1_Trimmed.fastq C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2_Trimmed.fastq

Comment

I tried the following:

tophat2 -p 5 -r 62 -–library-type fr-firststrand --GTF /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Annotation/Genes/gene.gtf –o /home/jmotwani/RNASeq/Alignment_Tophat2 /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1_Trimmed.fastq C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2_Trimmed.fastq

but now I get a different error:
              tophat: option -? not recognized
              for detailed help see http://ccb.jhu.edu/software/tophat/manual.shtml

Comment

Try

Code:
                tophat2 --num-threads 5 --mate-inner-distance 62 --library-type fr-firststrand --GTF /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Annotation/Genes/gene.gtf --output-dir /home/jmotwani/RNASeq/Alignment_Tophat2 /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1_Trimmed.fastq C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2_Trimmed.fastq
                There is one last possibility. TopHat may not be liking the - you have in your fastq file names. So if you could change those to "_" if the above does not work.

Code:
                tophat2 --num-threads 5 --mate-inner-distance 62 --library-type fr-firststrand --GTF /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Annotation/Genes/gene.gtf --output-dir /home/jmotwani/RNASeq/Alignment_Tophat2 /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome C95VLANXX_2046D_01_01_01_L003_R1_Trimmed.fastq C95VLANXX_2046D_01_01_01_L003_R2_Trimmed.fastq

Comment

Thank you. The command worked this time but partly
                  Command :

tophat2 --num-threads 5 --mate-inner-dist 62 --library-type fr-firststrand --GTF /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Annotation/Genes/genes.gtf --output-dir /home/jmotwani/RNASeq/Alignment_Tophat2 /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome read1.fastq read2.fastq

Output:

[2016-05-23 22:07:53] Beginning TopHat run (v2.1.1)
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  [2016-05-23 22:07:53] Checking for Bowtie
                  Bowtie version: 2.2.9.0
                  [2016-05-23 22:07:53] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
                  [2016-05-23 22:07:53] Checking for reference FASTA file
                  [2016-05-23 22:07:53] Generating SAM header for /home/jmotwani/mydata/Genomes/Homo_sapiens/Ensembl/GRCh37/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome
                  [2016-05-23 22:07:55] Reading known junctions from GTF file
                  [2016-05-23 22:08:28] Preparing reads
                  [FAILED]
                  Error running 'prep_reads'
                  Error: qual length (111) differs from seq length (106) for fastq record !

Comment

That indicates that there is an error in your reads file. What trimming program did you uses (and was it paired-end aware)?

Comment

I used a in-house script (cleanadaptors) to trim the raw fastq files. I run the command to trim the data in the following way:

cleanadaptors -I /home/jmotwani/RNASeq/contam.fa -q 20 -x 25 -F C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1.fastq -o C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1_Trimmed.fastq -G C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2.fastq -O C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2_trimmed.fastq

-q is for quality and -x is for min length of the read

Comment

For that you are going to need to consult the person who wrote the script.

If you can't then I suggest that you use bbduk or trimmomatic or cutadapt (a standard trimming program).

Comment

I will be using trimmomatic now,thanks for all the help.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses