Error while running bcl2fastq saupra Bioinformatics 9 12-13-2016 07:22 AM
Comparing Cassava1.8.2 to bcl2fastq DrWorm Bioinformatics 5 03-30-2016 06:32 PM
bcl2fastq on windows? jdb Illumina/Solexa 4 10-13-2015 04:25 AM
How filter bcl2fastq reads ? ClemBuntu Bioinformatics 2 01-29-2015 11:54 PM
install bcl2fastq-1.8.4 min1204 Bioinformatics 17 07-23-2014 04:37 AM

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
thermophile

Default amplicon runs using bcl2fastq v217

Has anyone noticed issues with quality scores on amplicon runs since the new version of bcl2fastq came out? I've had a number of runs be questionable since late Oct, but I also changed machines at the same time. Trying to figure out if I need to adjust wetlab conditions to new machine or if it's related to the software update.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
GenoMax

bcl2fastq v.2.x uses binned Q-scores. I assume you are referring to that here as "issues"? Have you seen this paper?

@Brian has a way to re-calibrate those using BBMap. There should be a post on here that describes how to do that.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
thermophile

The beginning of R2 qscores are really low. This last run, R1 looks great with ~10% phiX aligned. R2 is horrible, <1% phiX aligned. I'm not sure how this would be software related but the thumbnails look fine-the machine didn't lose focus, clusters are there.

oh hadn't seen that paper, thanks. Haven't used bbmap but know it's on one of our clusters
Old 12-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
thermophile

The qscore profiles look similar to what I was seeing at the beginning of the year. But the machine that I'm currently using is the one that actually lead us to blame the TCM of my old machine
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65825
Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermophile View Post
Has anyone noticed issues with quality scores on amplicon runs since the new version of bcl2fastq came out? I've had a number of runs be questionable since late Oct, but I also changed machines at the same time. Trying to figure out if I need to adjust wetlab conditions to new machine or if it's related to the software update.
Are you sure the issue is with bcl2fastq? QScores are assigned (binned or not) by RTA. bcl2fastq merely extracts the scores already stored in the BCL file by RTA.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
thermophile

not sure of anything. so maybe rerunning older version of bcl2fastq isn't going to change anything?
Old 12-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
thermophile

talked to tech support, bcl2fastq is very unlikely to be the issue.

Tags
amplicon, bioinformatics, microbiome, miseq