Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux or Windows for 454 assembly of bacterial genomes?

I know this has been covered before but I also know that the answer is often "it depends". So here is a brief description of what I am trying to do.

I am new to NGS and working on sequencing small (1 Mb) bacterial genomes (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24214). I have sequence data for 3 isolates and it appears that I have many gaps (about 80) in each of the assemblies as a result of repeats. So for finishing I have been doing de novo assembly with Newbler, moving contigs with Mauve, and using Ugene for alignments and primer design. This is a lot of work and will get expensive .

Thus far I have been restricted to using Windows for analysis beyond the Newbler assembly. I have been given the go ahead to purchase a computer to install Linux and give me more options for data analysis. But without the experience I am not sure it will necessarily help me out.

Does it seem worthwhile to go ahead with purchase? Will I be able to improve my assemblies and reduce the amount of bench work needed for finishing? Convince me! What kind of computing requirements am I looking at?

Why don't you run a virtual machine of a linux operating system (say Ubuntu or something similar)? Its great to get your feet wet in the linux side of things, and theres few issues if you have problems or break it. If your windows machine has enough resources you will be able to run windows and linux side-by-side. An 1Mb genome is quite small so you don't have to have massive resources.

If, after playing with linux for a while, you feel like you need more resources then you can go ahead with your purchase of a new machine

Comment

I agree.. We use a high end windows based machine running ubuntu on a virtual machine. You get the best of both. The benefits you gain from a unix pipeline is adaptability i.e. there are lots of programs available for you to mix n match. Ubuntu has a GUI and with a little know how most NGS programs can be run with relative ease....the added benefit is that command line programs seem much more efficient at dealing with large data sets.

Comment

Another suggestion even simpler is you can go AWS or Azure to get a trail account then in 5 mins you can start a new VM running Ubuntu, in this you can concentrate on getting familiar with Linux and those command line tools. If you did something wrong, delete the VM and start again.

Best,

dong

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
        0 responses